Noob Question:) Sand Or Gravel? Cleaning

splasher

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I want sand as it looks great and real plants, but I know gravel (I have a gravel hoover)is easier to clean. what you think I got a rio 180 and i am going to start with some basic fish ..really i want to get the tank set up and leave it to cycle over te next couple of weeks

any thoughts or methods to cleaning sand, i was thinking of getting a under gravel filter to help cleaning, i just dont want to have to change the sand evry couple of weeks :unsure:
 
Hey sand is not that bad to look after.

Firstly, which ever sand you decide to use you must wash it out thoroughly even if it says 'pre washed'

Unlike gravel, food and debris does not penetrate down into the lower depths of the substarate so much. Therefore, when you 'gravel vac' all you need to do is swish the tube just above the sand surface to disturb the debris then suck it up. With a little practice very little sand is sucked up. If you use a bucket to catch the water then you can keep the sand, wash it and return it when you have an amount.

BTW, you cannot use an UGF with sand
 
cheers for that i have a eheim 2215 external filter i will use that should be enough, got work out waht goes in the filter lol, i find a online manaul.. what about plants do i need any thing under the sand? to help the plants grow

thanks for your wisdom :)
 
cheers for that i have a eheim 2215 external filter i will use that should be enough, got work out waht goes in the filter lol, i find a online manaul.. what about plants do i need any thing under the sand? to help the plants grow

thanks for your wisdom :)

As far as plants go I can't give you sound advice.I have sand in my small tank with real plants which grow with no special substrate additives ( i do add flurish ferts)
I shall be converting my larger tank to sand soon so I will watch your post or maybe add one of my own on sand/planr enquiries
 
another question how do fish ge on with bass, was worried about my speaker effecting my fish, i have moved one of my speaker about a foot away from my tank there very bassy nearly out performing my sub, will they love it or hate it i guess i can relocate my speakers some where else..
 
Um...
One problem with sand is that it may become compact and lead to deoxygenized(?) zones in your substrate. This is why you don't typically see it in a freshwater tank. Plus it can be harder to clean.
 
Neither, get small rocks. IF you go to your LFS they should have small brown rocks, real ones..Gravel gets dirty in your tank after awhile if you try to clean it. I heard sand ( even though looks great in tanks and I love it) could get cought in the filter ( which I doubt) either way I think small rocks are your best bet.
 
the sand issue is covered

i dont "believe" the sub will do any harm to your fish. if the water is rippling at the surface, you probably should think about moving it?? sound doesnt penetrate through water nearly as much as it does in the atmosphere so this is why i dont think its a big deal.
 
another question how do fish ge on with bass, was worried about my speaker effecting my fish, i have moved one of my speaker about a foot away from my tank there very bassy nearly out performing my sub, will they love it or hate it i guess i can relocate my speakers some where else..

As long as you dont play Rick Astley, your fish should ok.

I dont know what the prolonged effect of Bass would have on your fish to be honest but it you notice your fish sitting back chilling out nodding the head back and fourth, i think it would be safe to say they are enjoying it.
 
I dont think you have much to worry about with sand becoming compacted and releasing gasses as suggested, plenty of people have sand and Ive not heard of a problem with it - you can, however, on a water change, just run your finger though it to release any pockets that may arise.

Rick Astley - Axle why O why do you have the ginger one in your sig??? :)
 
Well the initial post was a while ago but since it was revived...

First, sand will compact and can get anaerobic if left alone, so don't leave it alone. During my weekly maintenance I give my sand a good stir with a long handled grill fork. This keeps the sand moving preventing compaction and churns it up preventing anaerobic pockets. I've got a 55 gallon tank and stiring the sand takes about five minutes extra. Alternately you can get something like Malaysian trumpet snails which will keep your sand constantly stirred and reduce the need to do it yourself.

Second, sand will get everywhere in your tank. This won't effect your filter too much if you are careful. Ensure that prior to being put in the tank you rinsed the sand thuroughly to get as much light grit out as possible. You can't get it all but you can get most. This will reduce the amount of suspended particles in the water. Second, during your vacuuming and sand stiring shut off your filter and leave it off for several minutes after everything you're doing that could cause the sand to be kicked up is done.

I love my sand bottom and my water is crystal clear. If you want to have corys go with sand, they'll love it.
 
Well the initial post was a while ago but since it was revived...

First, sand will compact and can get anaerobic if left alone, so don't leave it alone. During my weekly maintenance I give my sand a good stir with a long handled grill fork. This keeps the sand moving preventing compaction and churns it up preventing anaerobic pockets. I've got a 55 gallon tank and stiring the sand takes about five minutes extra. Alternately you can get something like Malaysian trumpet snails which will keep your sand constantly stirred and reduce the need to do it yourself.

Second, sand will get everywhere in your tank. This won't effect your filter too much if you are careful. Ensure that prior to being put in the tank you rinsed the sand thuroughly to get as much light grit out as possible. You can't get it all but you can get most. This will reduce the amount of suspended particles in the water. Second, during your vacuuming and sand stiring shut off your filter and leave it off for several minutes after everything you're doing that could cause the sand to be kicked up is done.

I love my sand bottom and my water is crystal clear. If you want to have corys go with sand, they'll love it.

Again, anaerobic isnt a problem, will NOT harm fish or plants. Enjoy your sand.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top