No More Clownfish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm sick of clownfish. they have become the icon of the hobby and really arent that great of a fish. I believe much of the hobby consists of diversity which is lacked in part do to clownfish.

this is just my opinion, however obscure it may be.

I'm sick of clownfish. they have become the icon of the hobby and really arent that great of a fish. I believe much of the hobby consists of diversity which is lacked in part do to clownfish.

this is just my opinion, however obscure it may be.

I don't agree! As weird as it may be the clownfish doesnt really pop up as the icon of the hobby but just a really common fish. If I were to ask someone what is your favorite fish in the ocean I doubt they would say Clownfish, I would imagine they would say Sharks or Whales. :lol: . Unless its a 7year old brat who watched disney movies all her life then you would get NEEEMOOO. I love clownfish though, well atleast mine. They've been nothing but angels since I've got them 2 months ago. And there really fun to watch especially how they follow my finger when I slide it across the glass. My cardinals do the same too :wub:

Don't even get me started on 'Finding Nemo' :lol:

I certainly agree with Jordon in that they have become the icon of the hobby, and I really hate it when every other fsh in the pet store is dubbed "NEMO!" by every small child that looks at them. This hobby is growing less diverse every day, with a painfully dull, common, "standard" beginning to emerge; a pair of Clownfish, a Dwarf Angel, a Sixline Wrasse, and a Goby of some kind.

As much as I like Clownfish (I myself am "guilty" of owning a pair), I also agree with Jordon in that there are far better fish to choose from; Frogfishes, Lionfishes, Scorpionfishes, Triggers, Filefishes, Morays, Puffers, et cetera.

However. I agree with Mr.September15 in that few people would say that clownfish are their favourite fish. Most people (as hard as it is to believe :hey: :lol: ) are very undereducated when it comes to animals. Most would automatically think of the biggest, strongest, or the one they think is most ferocious (Piranhas; and I can definetly say that they are no where near the most aggressive fish :drool: ).

On the other hand, Maroon Clownfish, in my opinion, are an excellent fish, and not boring at all. They are also the only Clownfish that I would call 'beautiful' and not just 'cute'. :drool: I will definetly think twice about passing up a pair of Maroons when the 77 goes up. Coincidentally, Maroons are the only ones I would call 'tough' and feel proud of the fact that they could hold their own in a fight :hey: . You can all bet that as soon as my new tank goes up that it will be filled with the predators of the coral reefs instead of the prey :lol:

But it will also have invertebrates and corals, so in a sense it will be a variant of the "standard" reef set up. Kick-ass fishes are the way I'm headed :hey: no more "prey pets" for me, thank you. :lol:

-Lynden

Lynden i am all for preditor tanks but the reason these prey fish are just that is because of the way most people set up there box of water.With no cover.Clowns are not prey usualy if they are kept with wut protects them ,nems.

example.My lfs has a 75 gal chromis tank with about 30 chromis. One employey added full size lion fish used to gold fish feadres.It moved tords the chromis and got scared as hell and ran away when the chromis bunched up to the size of a baricuda.

The reason those are popular fish is because they are easy,cheap,small,cute/cool,reef safe and easy to feed.

I love my Tomato clowns, they are much better than any other clowns I've had, But they are still clowns.

The thing is, you need to choose to keep fish because you like them or dislike them, not because you feel that they are overplayed, you don't want to be a fish snob, like those music snobs who refuse to listen to music that is popular do you.

I would have to agree, when I am in my LFS there are always kids with their parents whatching the clownfish and screaming " Look mom its Nemo!". Though I find it cute, becasue at least these children are finding interest in this great hobby. And as long as they can provide a suitable living enviroment I dont mind all these movies, its when people start buying fish becasue their kids want them and stick a clownfish in a bowl that I get angry. Anyways back on point, Clownfish I wouldnt say are the icon of the hobby, but its one of the most recongizble saltwater fish to the normal person who isnt in the hobby. I personally feel ever tank needs at least 2 clowns as I find them great fish. But I do agree their are many more other fish out there I would choose for clowns.

The fact that they are popular will not stop me from buying them; indeed, take a look at my tank stocking and you'll see that that's true. :hey:

My next setup (the 77 that I keep mentioning), with a 77 gallon on top and a 55 gallon on the bottom, will be a semi-predator reef on top, and a macroalgae planted below. The macroalgae planted tank will act as a refugium. :hey:

I hope I don't look like a "fish snob" :lol: I've just always have had a soft spot for predators, and the unusual.

-Lynden

My partner and I love clownfish, they're the reason that we are buying a marine tank next year! We will end up having another couple of fish but not sure what. Still doing our homework!

Hmm, you guys all give good points. Though it may be annoying seeing people call Clownfish Nemo, it may be a new light for the Marine Hobby. Just FYI, one of the many reasons I got into fish keeping is how cool it would be to keep a piece of the ocean in my room. :shifty: . One of my theories: In 10 years most of the worlds reefs will end up being in our homes. Imagine if everyone who owns coral frags a piece and puts it back in the ocean! That would be a huge turn around for the world. :fun: , It would call for great things and put more of the worlds money on studying more marine than using it to find flippin' water on Mars. As IF I CARE IF THERES LIFE ON MARS! Its too far anyways! :angry: . Plus were worrying about other planets while our planet is deteriorating before our own eyes! :S The world is getting dumber and dumber everyday. :no:

its like the 5 billion or something idiotic that is proposed to be spent on building stuff on the moon :grr: #
damn stupid people why cant th4ey use money for stuff that the world needs. Just think 5 billion could be awseome to world poverty

STOOOPID people always get to spend the money of the world on absoloute crap

(sorry for venting and has nout to do with fish but just annoys me :look: )

its like the 5 billion or something idiotic that is proposed to be spent on building stuff on the moon :grr: #
damn stupid people why cant th4ey use money for stuff that the world needs. Just think 5 billion could be awseome to world poverty

STOOOPID people always get to spend the money of the world on absoloute crap

(sorry for venting and has nout to do with fish but just annoys me :look: )

Its way more than 5bil FYI. :p
I plan on buying a pair of clowns becuz im fascinated with their capacity for symbiotic living with anems/corals (or whatever else they want to host, lol). So what if people are turning the clownfish into the "flagship" of the marine hobby, as long as they are properly housed and cared for I do not see a problem. In fact I think it is great, because it gets people into the hobby. Those who initially start with the so called "starter fish" may decide that they love fishkeeping and move on to bigger and better things. I would rather people start out with the so called starter fish rather than get a more difficult fish to keep and have it die.

I know, there spending like a kazillion batrillion dollars on the stupid space program. I for one don't care if the moon is made out of cheese. :no: and if they find water on mars.

I know, there spending like a kazillion batrillion dollars on the stupid space program. I for one don't care if the moon is made out of cheese. :no: and if they find water on mars.

I think it would be fascinating if they found water on mars. Just think about what kind of organisms they might find!

A little of topic but the spaceprogram entails the construction of a "moonbase" for extended periods of living on the moon which will eventually serve as a waypoint for trips to mars. I read that in the paper a few days ago.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back