Nitrite Levels Off The Chart

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Joined
Oct 3, 2006
Messages
1,709
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London, UK
Well, i check for nitrites every 7-10 days out of habit, never get a reading, every now and then i will use a different kit, i.e. sometimes API, sometimes Nutrafin.

Anyway, tonight using the API one, i got max Nitrite for my Parrot tank and an almost max for my Planted set-up, i thought "what the heck"

as i emptied the test tubes and prepared to test do a re-test i noticed both had some grey resin in the tubes (a tiny amount, really tiny stuck on the sides)

it was left over Tetra NitrAte test, LOL, it obviously reacts with the API nitrIte test!

The next Nitrite test i did in different tubes came back 0.0 for both tanks

moral of the story is, dont just presume your test tubes are clean before you do the testing, check! and if you are using Nitrate kits that use powder pay particular attention to rinsing out the tubes thoroughly or the powder might stick after.

phew!!!!!
 
I had a similar thing with dirty test-tubes recently, but for an ammonia test. Came back at about 2. Couldn't figure out why, used different test-tubes and it was 0.
then went and cleaned my test-tubes thoroughly, not had a high test since
 
If you leave them sitting very long, there will probably be some gunk in the bottoms. If I forget to empty mine, once I do empty them, I always compare them to a clean tube. The ammonia and nitrate (yellow and orangish-red) will stain the inside of the glass. I just run a paper towel down in the to clean them out.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top