Nitrate Reducing Filter Media

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Matt75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been running my tank for a few months now and have struggled to balance down the Nitrate content. In the last 24hrs I decided to take advice from another thread and test my own tap water - looks like its coming out at 40ppm+ !

I read in the API Test Master book that they have a filter media that can reduce this etc - any suggestions on either a liquid additive / filter media that has proven itself ?

I've got a 125L tank with an APS1000 external filter on it - the three tray type, so can handle loose media fine.

Thanks in advance !

Matt

I have nitrate at that kind of level in my tapwater too. It's not a problem. Don't bother about making someone else richer for a product you don't need.

I do a 15L change once a week with a hoover around the sand to clear out as much of the gunk as possible - but I'm just worried about side effects on the fish over a prolonged period of higher nitrate levels.

However, the fish that came with the tank - not sure it had been cleaned in 12+ months, so maybe they are just hardy !

15l isn't really enough on a 125l tank - you want to be looking at around 40-50l. As I said, 40ppm nitrate is not high, it is nothing to worry about. Once you start getting above 80ppm, you want to be wondering why, but even that isn't a huge problem for the majority of popular species.

Sorry....misread of the containers I use - actually 25L each. Point noted though, will up the frequency (and / or buy another container so I've got 50L fresh at one time).

Just keep up your water changes. Add some plants an you will be fine

Most reactions

Back