Nitrate Just Tested Off The Chart!

Triggerobsessed

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United States, Baltimore
I tested my water a couple minutes ago and the nitrates came out at 160ppm, everything else was at 0ppm. Im doing a large water change but i was also wondering what else i could do to lower my high nitrate levels.
 
A: how large is your tank
B: What fish are in there
C: To lose nitrates, add plants, do extra water changes, I don't recommend resins/chemicals unless your tap water already has nitrates.
 
Also depending on what test you used, it is possible to have messed it up...especially with liquid api. They have you shake this for so long, add drops and shake that for so long and it's a pain in the butt. I don't know that it'd mess them up that much though.

When was the last time you actually did a water change and not top off? Do as large a water change as you can w/out sacrificing your fishes swimming ability as I don't know how big they are and such.

your 125 stocking sounds kinda crazy....is it that one? What species are the rays? a lot of stores use teacup as a general nickname for small rays but they can get huge.

and the 125 won't be big enough for the rays in the long term...i know, I have a 125 gallon tank and I researched it.
 
As said, you can add plants. They will use the Nitrates as nutrients. If the test is right, you probably aren't doing very many water changes, or your tap water has 120 PPM's of Nitrate too.
 
He hasn't actually said which tank it was though. I'm guessing that with the stocking it has in it...but I could be totally wrong too :)

The 65 gallon is a sw tank anyhow.

triggers and puffers are messy fish so it could easily be that one too!

and it could be an entirely different tank altogether :S
 
the tank is 55 gallons and its heavily planted.

fish:
2 large angels
5 mixed large barbs
1 pictus catfish
2 flying foxes
1 clown loach
1 yellow lab cichlid
2 neons
2 sailfin mollies
4 platies
1 fire eel

before the "your tank is overstocked" comments come in, i havent had any trouble with this in the past. I have many filters on the tank including

- the largest rena canister filter
1 aquaclear 500
1 whisper 60
1 internal whisper filter

the only reason i need help is because only the platties and mollies are showing signs of stress (gasping at the top for air) all the other fish are doing fine. And i tested the water with aquarium test strips, again i have no ammonia, or nitrites and the ph is at 6.9

ps. the 125 was taken down and some of the fish were spread out into my other tanks, and our tap is run through a reverse osmosis system
 
ok fair enough...however I do feel bad for your yellow lab...

How long's it been since you did a wc and not top off?

o just re read. The test strips *can* be really inaccurate.

usually gasping is caused by low oxygen in the water.
 
i usually top off once a week but do water changes infrequently becuase of the plants, but i figured the strips would be. There is a nutrafin co2 sytem on the tank and none of the other fish are gasping and there is a good amount of surface agitation
 
i don't know very much about planted tanks, but I do know that you don't want so much surface agitation when using co2 b/c it just "pulls" it out of the water.

how about picking up a liquid test kit. Have you completed your wc? if so, how much did u do? what do the strips read now?
 
I'd go get a liquid test kit, if I were you. Try that test a few times. I'm not well versed on planted tanks w/co2 and I'm not sure how/if that could affect readings.

Have you looked over this? How big is your eel?
http://www.fishforums.net/content/Oddballs/155588/Fire-Eel/

Are you really in baltimore and you're awake? wow..I'm going to bed :) I was only up b/c my hubby wanted to bid on something on ebay that ended about 11pm.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top