Nitrate and Iron Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishRunner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just done a water test and everything is great except for Nitrate (Not Nitrite, thats fine) and Iron. My test results for Nitrate where around 45/50 mg and i have no iron at all in my water. So i have bought a bottle of Iron supplement and Nitrasafe (think is called that) Is iron important to a tank? also not sure whats causing my nitrate levels, i have read it could be food high in proteins, any ideas?

Nitrate is the end process of a nitrogen cycle, and it can only be get rid of by water change, and by plant consumption.

Iron is needed by plants, so if u don't have any, I don't think the lack of iron would be a problem.

Yup you're better off doing a partial water change to bring the levels of Nitrate down and then add your iron supplement. I know very little about the iron side of it so have no idea whether to add supplements or whether there are any other ways off boosting the levels.

Do check your tap water for nitrate - it could well be the source of your high nitrates. The only answer then is to use RO water or to put a ton of plants in your tank to use up the nitrates.

Most reactions

Back