Nipped Tail Fins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nmdelrio

Reaction score
One of my tiger barbs has nipped tail fins, not too bad, still swims but with a little difficulty. Will the nipped tail fins grow back?

:unsure:

Need to sort the nipping out, they will grow back, but abit worrying as he's finding it difficult to swim, can you issolate him.
Need to look at size of tank in gallons or litres, full stock list of fish in the tank, and water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

It will heal if he can be isolated, but as you wilder said, you need to find out why it was nipped in the 1st place. The common cause with tiger barbs, is not enough of them. The more of them there is, the more the aggression is spread out. This way one barb will not be singled out, and continually bullied. make sure you have sufficient tank capacity before you think about adding more, and obviously, check the water perams.
On the number game front, i would suggest 6 as an absolute minimum of tigers, but even 6 can cause problems.. general feeling is that the omptimum number is 8. More is better still, but your looking at a lot of space for 10 or more adult, fully grown barbs... they like to swim!

community planted tank w/ driftwood 1.2m x .5m x .5m

6- tiger barbs
1- rainbow shark (black)
1- dwarf gourami
4- serpae tetras
4- red eye tetras
6- black skirt tetras
1- small CAE
2- rosy barbs
1- upsidedown catfish

H2O params
NH3 = 0.2 ppm
pH =7.2
NO2 =0
NO3 =45

I suspect it is the rainbow shark who's been nipping.

The tank is recovering from a case of ick. I lost 2- pictus catfishes and 1- UD catfish. Serpaes still have symptoms of ick. Medication is ongoing. Tetras do not show twitching or visible signs of ick.

I may have exaggerated on the degree of difficulty in swimming thing. He can still compete with the other occupants (if the fins do not get any worse). He's the biggest of the barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back