Next Fish For My Tank - More Suggestions Please!

how about something like a male siamese fighter? they are brightly coloured and attractive and so could appeal to a child?
but not sure if the platies would fin nip as i have never kept them.
also as an alternative to cory's how about khuli loaches? i have some and they are very cute. they often curl up in the leaves of my plants and look like little pythons curled up in trees.
 
What a great idea! I hadn't thought of getting a siamese fighter, because I wasn't sure it would be compatible, but Thinkfish reckons its OK, and the female platys are very laid back and non-agressive.

Might suggest that to my son later.
 
Phantoms are fine in smaller numbers, you could have a male and female...

Fighter would be fine too although they dont always live for long, a yr at most in most cases I think. They dont like fast moving water though, so if you have an overhead filter it might not like that.
 
Best thing to do is go for cheap and cheerful fish to start I would say. So you could have some guppies or a pair of swordtails or platies. Overall I would suggest getting some tetras to start it off then once the tank has got going (after 2-3 weeks) I would add a Bristlenose pleco. They are hardy little buggars and will keep your tank algae free and also clean up scraps.

Oh by the way fighters live for up to 3 years, most aquatics bring in fish that are around 8 months to 2 years old. I was lucky enough to grab one of the younger ones. Generally if the fins are really loose and a little tatty and the fighter looks really broad bodied then generally that fighter is one of the older ones.
 
Wow, I was surprised to see this thread again! The tank in the picture is now very different - it has been divided and is home to two male bettas :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top