Newly Cycling Tank Is This Brown Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What made you link it to Prime?, its not a Dechlorinator, nor a liquid. If I had to guess I would suspect it is more like Purigen. I'll post again once Hagen gets back to me.

That was my doing, as I mentioned Prime in my post.  Both products claim to deal with nitrite and nitrate, and I just think this is generally not wise as it is bound to somehow mess around with the natural nitrification by bacteria/plants/organics.  If there is a specific short-term issue, that might be different.  As for Purigen, I would not use this in a planted tank either.  Here again you have a chemical substance that is messing around with nitrification, plus it does (as Seachem admit) remove some trace minerals so in a planted tank this is once again counter-productive.

I think many of us, and I have in the past certainly, tend to forget that a balanced aquarium will run itself.  Nature has had millions of years to perfect things, and whenever possible the safest and easiest system is one that leaves most of all this to nature.  Provided one keeps everything in balance, this cannot fail.  But the more chemical substances entering such a closed system, the more the liklihood that something will go wrong.

I'm eagerly awaiting Hagen's response on the product.

Byron.

Byron said:

What made you link it to Prime?, its not a Dechlorinator, nor a liquid. If I had to guess I would suspect it is more like Purigen. I'll post again once Hagen gets back to me.

Byron.

Hagen called me back today,  the person was just a call centre operator so no opportunity for follow up questions.
Its a synthetic resin (much like purigen but not able to be regenerated) that traps macromolecules such as phosphates and nitrates.

Being a former chemist I don't share a general fear of "chemicals" especially the ones that aren't water soluble like this one. I don't think it does much except remove fine particles and polish the water and its "trapping" abilities are probably pretty moderate. I didn't notice any change to my nitrate levels within the reading error levels of the API test kit.

I don't think it will hurt anything but it may not do much either. I asked if it could trap micro molecules and what kind of resin it is, I'll post more if I get any meaningful answers.
It was a freebie with the tank I doubt I would buy it again and once its life is exhausted I'll remove it from the filter..

cl3537 said:

Byron.

Hagen called me back today,  the person was just a call centre operator so no opportunity for follow up questions.
Its a synthetic resin (much like purigen but not able to be regenerated) that traps macromolecules such as phosphates and nitrates.

Being a former chemist I don't share a general fear of "chemicals" especially the ones that aren't water soluble like this one. I don't think it does much except remove fine particles and polish the water and its "trapping" abilities are probably pretty moderate. I didn't notice any change to my nitrate levels within the reading error levels of the API test kit.

I don't think it will hurt anything but it may not do much either. I asked if it could trap micro molecules and what kind of resin it is, I'll post more if I get any meaningful answers.
It was a freebie with the tank I doubt I would buy it again and once its life is exhausted I'll remove it from the filter..

So they called back again today.
It does not absorb micronutrients (like metal elements). It does absorb phosphate and nitrate.

It does not absorb micronutrients (like metal elements). It does absorb phosphate and nitrate.

I see no need for this in any aquarium with plants.  Phosphate is an essential plant nutrient, and there is not going to be an excess of this.  Nitrate has no real benefit for plants unless the ammonium is depleted, they plants will turn to nitrate (only provided other nutrients are available along with sufficient light of course), but there is a de-nitrification activity that is part of the healthy biological system, and unless nitrates are out of control by being present in the source water entering the aquarium, I can't see any benefit.

Byron.

So just to add a follow up I had two experts in my area look closely at full resolution photographs of the "algae". One of them uses Tahitian Moon sand as well and she said its just dust aggregating from the substrate.
I did rinse and wash the sand several times but perhaps not enough.

Whenever I interrupt the substrate I tend to get more of that "grey fluff" on my moss balls once the tank settles. All I have to do is rinse the Moss balls in fresh dechlorinated water and it seems to to get rid of it until the next time I interrupt the bottom.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back