Newly Cycled Tank - Stocking Ideas

Krullpes

New Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, have been reading the forums for several weeks now and thanks to you all I've successfully cycled my new aquarium- a 115L Rekord 800 which I got the other month.

I've gone with a sand substrate, several plants, a couple of moss balls and some bogwood for decor. Being ever-cautious the first fish in have been 10x T. Hengeli, amazing little fish, and very beautiful when shoaling and whizzing around the tank but I wonder if that will continue as the community grows.

I've turned my mind to thinking about what to go with next and I'm a little unsure. I like smaller sized fish and wherever possible I'd like to try to keep fish from the Southern Asia/Australasian area to keep it as close to a real environment as possible.

So far from my research I love the idea of the Featherfin Rainbow (Iriatherina werneri) and would look at maybe 6 of them. I also have my eye on a Betta Splendens and would love to have one in the community. Everything I read suggests with the right temperment fish, and an absence of nippers and other fancy tailed fish that he might confuse as one of his own I should be okay. I've also

So my question is what else would you suggest as suitable? What should I stay away from? Can anyone forsee any issues with what I've identified so far? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Kris
 
some bettas can go fine in comunity tanks and others will kill anythink you put them in with so it all about the fish. you could just get 6+ females insted you just have to watch out for fish like neon tetras that will nipe there fins
 
DON'T add anything with long fins. That's just asking for death. Bettas are not called fighting fish for no reason, and adding anything with long showy fins or bright colours, such as guppies for example, is like a red rag to a bull in most cases.

If you want bettas and still want a community, get a group of females. They don't have the long showy fins like the boys, but they are equally as pretty and have just as much personality. You should keep them in groups of 4 or more ( preferably more ) to spread any agression . They come in some beautiful colours too. I have a bright pink girl that I got from Modaz on here -
200.jpg


( she had been battered somewhat by her ex husband , her fins have healed very well now )

So as you can see, they can be lovely. And since they have shorter finnage, you can keep them with a slightly bigger variety of fish than you can with males.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top