Newish additions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is interesting! I'm surprised the 5 foot cost that much live! But I suppose I can spend well over £150 on my 2 foot for a rescape (pretty easily). Equally surprised how cheap the plastic plants came out at for such a big tank too. Its not for me but I can see why you would do it with the Dollars especially. I had a Sev and some headstanders and they were just as bad, managed a few plants are various points but eventually hardscape only.

Any chance of some pics of the Nic now?

Wills
Yeah i was paying around £5 pound a crypt and for instant impact id have 2 to 4 crypts in a bunch, must of had 10+ different varities then i had different swords and loads of anubias etc. Adds up quickly.

I Get 10 Artificial plants for £15!

I tried just hardscape and it just doesnt look as good without greenary 🤣

20230131_191153.jpg
20230131_191158.jpg
20230131_191224.jpg
20230131_191227.jpg

Absolutely stunning why is everyone not keeping these! With the black markings where the dorsal fin reaches the body originally this would have been Cichlasoma Spilotum before they were merged into Nicaraguensis :) From one of the lakes in Nicaragua but I forget which.

Wills

Absolutely stunning why is everyone not keeping these! With the black markings where the dorsal fin reaches the body originally this would have been Cichlasoma Spilotum before they were merged into Nicaraguensis :) From one of the lakes in Nicaragua but I forget which.

Wills
Oh right thats interesting. Is that the rivers youd find the t-bar and bocourti in too. They are called Cichlasoma sajica etc.

Would i be right in thinking mines female Wills? Wasnt sure at what stage the male would grow a nuchal hump and change colour🙂

Yeah i was paying around £5 pound a crypt and for instant impact id have 2 to 4 crypts in a bunch, must of had 10+ different varities then i had different swords and loads of anubias etc. Adds up quickly.

I Get 10 Artificial plants for £15!

I tried just hardscape and it just doesnt look as good without greenary 🤣

View attachment 310267View attachment 310269View attachment 310270View attachment 310271
Stunning fish....oh for the want of space for a large aquarium....well bigger than what I already have....and the experience/confidence to actually keep beauties like this.

Stunning fish....oh for the want of space for a large aquarium....well bigger than what I already have....and the experience/confidence to actually keep beauties like this.
Thank you @wasmewasntit

No difference in keeping these as would you looking after your apistos really🙂 if you ever get chance for a bigger tank id certainly recommend the Nicaraguans😍

How are your Apisto's doing now settled in?

Thank you @wasmewasntit

No difference in keeping these as would you looking after your apistos really🙂 if you ever get chance for a bigger tank id certainly recommend the Nicaraguans😍

How are your Apisto's doing now settled in?
Sadly an aquarium like yours is actually bigger than my flat.....literally not got the room, even without any furniture, to fit one of those here. The 53 was the biggest that I could find space for and even that has been shoehorned into a space....the 29 only just fitted beside it cos I put it infront of a store cupboard which is now totally inaccessible lol.

The Apistos are doing OK thank you. Hardly see the Fire Reds thesedays....they lurk behind the artificial plants except when food is available.

Oh right thats interesting. Is that the rivers youd find the t-bar and bocourti in too. They are called Cichlasoma sajica etc.

Would i be right in thinking mines female Wills? Wasnt sure at what stage the male would grow a nuchal hump and change colour🙂

I think T-Bars might cross over in Costa Rica but not in Nicaragua, Bocourti are from Guetamala so quite a bit more north. Cichlasoma was a big bucket family they all got chucked in a long time ago and they are all refined now. Nicaraguans are Hypsophrys, Bocourti are a Theraps and T-Bars are Amatitlania :)

Yours is definitely a female, colours are too bright for a male, especially in the dorsal fin and the black stripe down the body too. Males just have a splotch/dot rather than a stripe. Yours does have some orange spots in the dorsal fin but females sometimes have that.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back