Hello all!
Newcomer to the forums here... decided if I was going to get into the aquarium-keeping business again, I should do it right. I used to own a small 2 gallon aquarium that I kept a Betta in, then upgraded to a 10 gallon. With the 10 gallon I learned about overstocking and the cycling process, and realized that while I did want to continue raising fish, I should wait until I was out of college and could afford a larger, better maintained tank.
I now own a 36-gallon tank, and it's about a week or so away from finishing the cycling process as best I can guess (it's been cycling for about 6 weeks, and the ammonia readings have dropped down to 0 with the nitrites rapidly dropping as well). I keep the tank water about 78 degrees, and have an Aquaclear 70 for a filter. I was hoping to get some advice on what to stock my tank with.
I currently have a male golden panda lyretail molly, and a female balloon molly as my cycling fish. I unfortunately read about how balloon mollies get their shape after purchasing her, so I'd like to avoid getting more of them if keeping her alone won't stress her much.
I was thinking of getting 6-8 cherry barbs and a pearl gourami over the first 3-4 weeks, and going from there.
Should these fish work OK with the mollies? Is my aquarium setup OK this go-round? Thanks for the help, in advance!
Newcomer to the forums here... decided if I was going to get into the aquarium-keeping business again, I should do it right. I used to own a small 2 gallon aquarium that I kept a Betta in, then upgraded to a 10 gallon. With the 10 gallon I learned about overstocking and the cycling process, and realized that while I did want to continue raising fish, I should wait until I was out of college and could afford a larger, better maintained tank.
I now own a 36-gallon tank, and it's about a week or so away from finishing the cycling process as best I can guess (it's been cycling for about 6 weeks, and the ammonia readings have dropped down to 0 with the nitrites rapidly dropping as well). I keep the tank water about 78 degrees, and have an Aquaclear 70 for a filter. I was hoping to get some advice on what to stock my tank with.
I currently have a male golden panda lyretail molly, and a female balloon molly as my cycling fish. I unfortunately read about how balloon mollies get their shape after purchasing her, so I'd like to avoid getting more of them if keeping her alone won't stress her much.
I was thinking of getting 6-8 cherry barbs and a pearl gourami over the first 3-4 weeks, and going from there.
Should these fish work OK with the mollies? Is my aquarium setup OK this go-round? Thanks for the help, in advance!
Love the article on this site though!
it's the loose webbing. I'm still totally lost on the terms so may have gotten them mixed up but a betta friend of mine told me that is what he is.








