Newborn lobsters/crayfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samthefishman said:
Good stuff, btw, how big is your tank???
3ft by 1ft and 13" deep.

I had a friend that was going to get me a 4ft but.................. ??? Dunno now.

Ive counted (for now) 19 little babies and they seem to be doing well. They've grown in the last week. Occasionaly they bump into each other and scare themselves and jump, which is quiet funny to watch. :D

wow only 19??? geez i usually have hundreds...
They will grow quite fast until they reach about 1" then the growing process wil slow down.
A cool thing to do. Brain a fish and chuck him in there :D fun to watch the little fellas mob him hehe but i woudnt try that in your tank, it might make it murkey.

19 was last count, thats only what I can see. However, with those and the parents, that would make ...21 lobsters in my living room. What a great name for a band :lol:

What do you guys feed the yabbies?
i tried corn.. which they love but it makes the water DIRTY very very DIRTY

as for carrots, they dont even touch em..
all they eat is garden worms, but im kinda running out
so any suggestions?

Ok, last count is 30 :)

And I fed them catfish pellets or fish food or Crab Cusine, and I have crushed eggshells and chucked it in there, they seem to like that :)

I dont think they are very fussy :rolleyes:

Well, the last count was 34, although its kinda hard to count them. They are growing rapidly and are now fighting. I really need to find homes for them

Ive removed six to another smaller tank, which will do for now, six more are going to a friend of mine in exchange for a 2ft tank (when he sorts it out), two are going to Red (when she sorts it out), and one to three are maybe going to my local pub barstaff (maybe).

Of course Id like to keep a few for myself, but the little blighters are begining to fight and so far, Ive seen two that have no arms. :(

The babies won't hesitate to eat each other....just so you are aware. If you want to gain some fantastic information, go to www.bluecrayfish.com and use the forum there. Appy (one of the users/mods) is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about all things cray, and could definitely answer just about any questions you might have! :)

babies eating each other? this happens rarely, and in a big tank not at all...
But that is true, some do eat each other, so keep them well fed.

Narayan, how are the babies going?

They are good thanks samthefishman. I got some good tips from you and have done a little research myself.

I removed 6 of them last night and put them in another tank, however by this evening 4 of them had died. I guess it was too soon to move them :(

I fed them earlier and there is still plenty of food left on the ground still. Im going to leave them till thats cleared up.

Generally they seem to be getting on ok, there are a few scraps but they still have plenty of places to move to and hide.

I guess the ones with one or no arms were unlucky or stubborn.

My GF looked in the tank today and she thinks she counted 42 (after I had removed 6).

Thanks for your advice :D

i am still very suprised that you only have 42. Min i had was bout 100. Well first time i guess, non of mine lived the first time :p.
sounds like you got it undercontrol.
Rekon you could get a pic?
and how big are they now.

They are about 1 1/2 cms at the moment, as regards pics of them samthefishman, Ive tried posting but my pic size was too big and then when I rectified that my file size was too big so..... jeez, I give up.

Ok maybe I'll try again later, sigh!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back