Newbie With Substrate Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Atsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am starting a new tank, 50 gallons and before I set it up I was wanting to know what kind of substrate I should start with.  My goal is to have a fairly natural looking freshwater tank with plants and fish.  I'd also like to have a few invertebrates if possible such as snails.  What kind of substrate is good for both plants and snails?  I have been looking at CaribSea products but can't find any good information about what would be a good one or what would be a good mix.  Any suggestions or help would be great!

Many folks on the forum prefer play sand to gravel. It's worlds easier to keep clean, looks natural and if you want to keep snails and possibly some type of corydoras, sand is the way to go. Very inexpensive too.

I agree with "This Old Spouse" above.  Playsand (I prefer Argos to B&Q brand if you are in the UK) is natural looking.  And if you are planting too then the root systems will/should keep it aerated.  If you want to you can use something like Tropica planting substrate underneath the sand, but be aware that if you pull your plants up you risk dragging the lower substrate up with them, so its a good idea to use a gravel tidy, which is a plastic mesh that separates the two layers.  Actually, greenhouse plastic shading is ideal and a LOT cheaper than gravel tidies :)

As well as play sand, swimming pool filter sand, with a grain size of 0.5mm to 1.0mm is quite popular.

Thanks for the responses.  When you say "play sand" are you referring actual play sand like in a kid's sandbox?  That's interesting, so I don't have to buy a fancy sand from the LFS?

That's exactly what we're talking about! I don't know if you're in the States, but here we can get 50 lbs. for $6. The only thing I would caution you about is the amount of rinsing you'll need before you can put it in your tank. Rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse some more.

Other options are sand-blasting sand, and pool filter sand. The pool filter sand doesn't need to be rinsed quite as much.

This Old Spouse said:
That's exactly what we're talking about! I don't know if you're in the States, but here we can get 50 lbs. for $6. The only thing I would caution you about is the amount of rinsing you'll need before you can put it in your tank. Rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse some more.

Other options are sand-blasting sand, and pool filter sand. The pool filter sand doesn't need to be rinsed quite as much.

Yep, Washington State.  So I'll check out Home Depot or wherever one gets playbox sand for.  Sweet.  Do I need to watch out for sharp edges with any of these or will they be ok for any of the inhabitants that might want to burrow or pick in it?  I haven't decided what I'll stock the tank with yet but just keeping my options open.

The play sand I have isn't completely uniform and has some tiny pebbles mixed in which looks really natural. I think I got the same stuff as in your link, but I got it at Ace Hardware. 

Keep in mind that the smallest particles will work their way to the bottom, so if you put rocks in it the largest rocks will be on top and sand will disappear to the bottom.

Wow $6! I paid $2.50 for 50lbs. of playsand at Homedepot.
Paver sand also works well. Have it in one tank. It is less uniform than playsand. Changed from gravel a little over a year ago, so glad I did.

You know, when I thought about it, $6 did sound a little high. When I thought harder about it I remember paying more like $2.99 for 50 lbs. Weird that it doubled in price in less than a year ...

All my tanks have sand now, and it's SO much easier to keep clean. I can guarantee my fish are healthier for it, too.

Just bear in mind that playsand has no
Nutritional value. I'm starting a new 55g planted but I'm going with co2 injection and an Ada Malaya substrate which delivers nutrients over an extended period of time.

taffia1 said:
Just bear in mind that playsand has no
Nutritional value. I'm starting a new 55g planted but I'm going with co2 injection and an Ada Malaya substrate which delivers nutrients over an extended period of time.

What about mixing a layer of laterite with gravel or just laterite under the sand in the areas with the plants?  Your set up will be a lot fancier than mine, I don't plan on having high maintenance plants or needing a Co2 injection.  Would a layer of laterite and then sand work ok for the plants or should I be worried that I will be slowly starving them?

Thanks!

Loads of people use playsand it just depends on how much emphasis your going to put on plant growth etc there are easy care plants that require low light and no additional co2 just research what plants your putting in. Plants are in expensive so just go for it

Alright!  Put in 100 lbs of play sand!  I think it might be a little too  much for the tank, a few areas are closer to 4" than 3" but I'll have to deal with that later.  Thanks for all the help.  I really like the look and it cost about $7.00 for all the sand!  Way beter than getting sand at the LFS!  Now onto cycling!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back