Newbie From Fishkeeping

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Elrohirthehasty said:

Hello Elrohirthehasty, people in this forum has given me a lot of information. Such a great community
thanks.gif

My shark is 2 inches, I'll move it in bigger tank if they get larger. My danio is 0.5 inches, will the get bigger ?

Is it really 10 danios and 3 cory overstocked ? I even think to get 10 more danios.

My mistake, I am unaware about nitrogen cycle, Not only I know nothing about it, but also fishkeeper in my place never really care about it since there is no test kit available in my LFS. If it is available, it'll be super expensive and I can't afford it. The price is like more expensive than buying new tank. So we just guessing if it is cycled or not.

I already add live plant, a piralis and an sri rejeki ( I don't know what people call it in english)

I would guess the danios would grow to be about an inch.  10 danios and 3 corys is fully stocked, but not over stocked.  So, it is good. Some people would say you could even have 13 danios and 3 corys, but wait to get more!  Cycling with a fully stocked tank could be a problem.  Just watch the fish carefully for signs of sickness.  

Since getting test kits isn't an option, I would say just wait it out.  To be on the safe side wait at least a month for cycling.

Glad to hear you have plants!  The more the better.  Plants eat up some extra nitrogen (nitrates), which is always good.  You will always still have to change the water.  I don't know what plants are available to you, but some do better with lots of light, and some are okay with less light.  I don't know which lights you have, but assuming less light is better.  Some plants that do well in less light are Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) which is from your area I think and most kinds of Anubias  

I have this plant at my aquarium, I've search the internet and got some pictures of it. It is called Sri Rejeki from Aglaonema family. It is one of the most popular garden and aquarium plant in tropical region. My mother have many of this kind of plant in her garden since I live in tropical region.
Rocky+putih.jpg

And this one is called Piralis, I don't exactly know its scientific name. Maybe I'll search little deeper in the internet later.
Piralis.jpg

ive been fishkeeping for years and still don't have it figured out.   I had some pacus that died when he did a water change think maybe the water was too cold. cleaned tank and bought more pacus after it was established, they died. finally went to goldfish. I had two Chinese algae eaters that died too. its a lot of work and my time is limited. best to get hearty fish unless you have a lot of time and money

Megalodon said:

Yes it is !!

bluzup said:
ive been fishkeeping for years and still don't have it figured out.   I had some pacus that died when he did a water change think maybe the water was too cold. cleaned tank and bought more pacus after it was established, they died. finally went to goldfish. I had two Chinese algae eaters that died too. its a lot of work and my time is limited. best to get hearty fish unless you have a lot of time and money

Equipment are hard to find here, and expensive... I never do the cycle properly because lack of test kit available, I do fish in cycle with 50% water change for approximately two weeks.

Those plants look familiar to me, but I have never owned them.  

And don't worry, nature will do the cycling "properly" for you.  The test kits only help tell you what nature is doing.

Elrohirthehasty said:
Those plants look familiar to me, but I have never owned them.  

And don't worry, nature will do the cycling "properly" for you.  The test kits only help tell you what nature is doing.

I do 50% water change everyday, maybe I'll do it for two weeks to make sure the tank are properly cycled

singlecutguitar said:

Yes it is !!

bluzup said:

Equipment are hard to find here, and expensive... I never do the cycle properly because lack of test kit available, I do fish in cycle with 50% water change for approximately two weeks.

Glo fish danio.
glo fish are neat. i hope to set up a 20 gallon tank all different glo fish in the future.

this is the type of set up id like to have.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8088643962_24417136e9_z.jpg

Megalodon said:

Yes it is !!

bluzup said:

Glo fish danio.

glo fish are neat. i hope to set up a 20 gallon tank all different glo fish in the future.

Hate to be that guy.. but man is that tank overstocked! 32(?) fish in a 20 gallon tank - and some of those are very active fish! That would be overstocking for a 30. Watch out for Danios - they are very active and require a 30 gallon because of their swimming space needs.

SamB said:

Hate to be that guy.. but man is that tank overstocked! 32(?) fish in a 20 gallon tank - and some of those are very active fish! That would be overstocking for a 30. Watch out for Danios - they are very active and require a 30 gallon because of their swimming space needs.

I count 33, and I agree.

SamB said:

Yes it is !!

bluzup said:

Glo fish danio.

Hate to be that guy.. but man is that tank overstocked! 32(?) fish in a 20 gallon tank - and some of those are very active fish! That would be overstocking for a 30. Watch out for Danios - they are very active and require a 30 gallon because of their swimming space needwell

i figured that tank was overstocked. i was more referring to the decor and blue lighting and all. although ill consider a 30.

i do...i really do..IMO concerning aquariums,bigger is always better.
Elrohirthehasty said:
Go thirty! You know you want to.  Heck go 55

Most reactions

Back