New Tropical Fish Enthusiast

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

brwoody

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

My name is Benn and I have recently set up my first tropical fish tank. My dad always had tropical fish when I was a kid and it's always something that I've wanted to turn my hand to, with my ultimate goal to one day have a Marine aquarium!

My tank has been running for about 4 weeks now. It's a 64ltr tank with an internal filter and I have the following fish so far:

2 x Leopard Danios
4 x small Neon tetras
5 x Glass Angels
5 x Endler guppies
2 x Balloon mollies
1 x small Silver dollar

Look forward to looking through the site and picking up some good tips!

Benn

Hi Benn, :hi: to the forum.

Did you cycle your tank before adding the fish? Whether or not you did, please read the link in my signature.

Welcome to tff hope you get all the information you need but to know that you heavily overstocked. Without the glass angels you've around 27inches of fish in a 17 gallon ish tank way to much sorry.

Hi Blondie,

I was told to leave the tank for a week before adding any fish which is what I done. I have an Interpet test kit which comes with a bottle of filter start which is the bacteria that you refer to in your cycling link. I've tested the pH and the Nitrate regularly and they have been coming back as perfect for fish to be added. I'm still adding the filter start every other day and the fish seem to be thriving at the moment. I've had only one fish die so far...

I did have, what I now believe was a bacteria bloom a few days ago but that seems to have gone after a partial water change (cloudy gooey like substance on some areas of the gravel).

Hi Miller,

Why do you say I am overstocked? These fish are extremely small and have plenty of room within the tank, I've also spoken to a number of different aquatic suppliers and they have all advised that if I stick to small fish like I have then I will be fine...

Benn

Yes they may be small now but you've to consider the size of the adult when fully grown the silver dollar alone grows to around 5" and if I'm not mistaken they require 20+ gallon tank

brwoody said:
Hi Blondie,

I was told to leave the tank for a week before adding any fish which is what I done. I have an Interpet test kit which comes with a bottle of filter start which is the bacteria that you refer to in your cycling link. I've tested the pH and the Nitrate regularly and they have been coming back as perfect for fish to be added. I'm still adding the filter start every other day and the fish seem to be thriving at the moment. I've had only one fish die so far...

I did have, what I now believe was a bacteria bloom a few days ago but that seems to have gone after a partial water change (cloudy gooey like substance on some areas of the gravel).

Unfortunately, you are not cycled. In order to cycle a tank you need to add a source of ammonia. Running it for a week does nothing.
You will have to do a fish in cycle.
Nitrate isn't really important, it is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. The more important tests are for ammonia and nitrite. Both of which I'm guessing you don't have tests for? You say the nitrate is coming back perfect, I'm guessing by this you mean it's reading as 0? 0 Means that your tank isn't cycled as you should be seeing some nitrate.
Most of those bottled bacteria do not work (though some do) and, from looking at what you've said, your one hasn't worked.
You are doing a fish in cycle and I strongly recommend that you get some tests for ammonia and nitrite.
Here is a link about fish in cycling:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

brwoody said:
Why do you say I am overstocked? These fish are extremely small and have plenty of room within the tank, I've also spoken to a number of different aquatic suppliers and they have all advised that if I stick to small fish like I have then I will be fine...

You are over stocked because when these fish are full grown (providing they don't get stunted) there will be way too many for your tank.Some of those fish are not suited to a tank of your size aswell.

I'm aware of the silver dollar being quite a big growing fish but the plan would be to rehome when it outgrows the tank. Again, I seeked careful advice from Swallow aquatics on buying this particular fish. I appreciate that when the fish are fully grown there may be an overstocking issue but at the moment, the bulk of these fish are less than an inch in size - how quickly do the above fish grow?

Can you suggest a number of fish that you would keep in this size tank?

The general rule (though not the best rule) is one inch of ADULT fish per US gallon.

Personally, I don't see the point of buying a fish just to rehome it. When it comes to rehoming it, you may not be able to rehome it. IMO you should try to rehome it now before it's too late.

Thanks for the info Blondie. I have a nitrate test kit which consists of tablets which I have to put into samples of water from the tank - is this not the right kind of nitrate test?

I'll take a look at the fish in cycling link
yes.gif

The nitrate test is fine but you need to get a test for ammonia and a test for nitrite, liquid preferably.

Is anyone online to give me some advice? I've got a couple of questions that I would like to ask if possible....

Hey dude,

I've just had to do quite a big water change on my tank and I was wondering how soon after the change I can test the nitrate and ammonia levels? Also, how long does it take for the pH to settle down?

If you use prime, a day or 2. If you used a different dechlorinator, immediately if you want to.

Great! Does the same apply to testing the ammonia and nitrate levels?

Most reactions

Back