New to your site.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FLYguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just found this place and its cool. Ive been growing small fish for a long time, and recently have taken up growning bigger fish.

I have 2 tanks. The little one I breed Beta's and Guppies in for food for my other fish.

The big tank has my Albino tiger Oscar, 3 Altum Angelfish, and a Bullnose(?) pleco.

The Oscar is little, about 9cm long, the Angels are all about 8cm tall from top to bottom of fins, and the Pleco is about 5cm long.

My questions:
1)Why do the angels in the fish stores sometimes have red eyes, and mine dont?

2)Why does my Oscar rip up the plants?

3)Will he eventually be bigger than the Angels and eat them or kill them?

4)How much can I feed it (Oscar)? Yesterday he ate 15 guppy fry and wanted more. Just till hes looking fat?

5)What does it mean when the Angels black stripes go away? It think it means they are happy and when the black comes back they are mad?

I have more questions, but I think this is enough for now.

Thanks for any help you may give me.

1. ?

2. cichlids are notorious for eating plants in the aquarium. look at them as a salad bar. you will want to find some of the tougher plants as they do not seem to like them. anubias works well with cichldis. most plants will become uproooted though from digging. plan on possibly replanting your plants if they are not secured.

3. the oscar will definitely become bigger than the angels. male oscars can reach lengths of 10" or better. could kill the angels.

4. feed for no more than what the oscar can eat in 10 minutes. any uneaten food can cause the levels to raise. oscars like high protein diets. can also feed him brine shrimp, bloodworms, beefheart.

5. fish coloring and stripes will disappear when they are under stress. could be the oscar is already terrorizing them. if their coloring does not return then move them to another tank. prolonged stress opens up the fish to disease.

hth

semper fi

Hmmm.... Looks like I am on the search for a new tank. I noticed that the Oscar seems to have claimed the tank as his even though hes new, and the Angels dont like him at all now. Thanks, i will go try and find that plant you named.

It took my 5" tiger oscar all of 5 minutes (maybe) to take over the tank from my 4.5" Green Terror. I would think the Angels are a bit too docile to be with an Oscar.
Good luck! Hope you find a good deal on a new tank!

Ive been watching quite closeley, and I think they may be OK together for a while... It seems now that my largest angel will put the run on Oscar every time... It may be because Angel is bigger than he is though...?

I think the only risk I have is her chasing oscar out of the tank... The last Oscar I had, Angel chased him out on Christmas day...

Man can that Oscar ever eat alot!!! I mean, 10 little baby guppies, 5 big moths, a couple flys, and he still will fight for the frozen blood work block... WOW!

Is that too much to let him eat? I cant help it, cause the angels dont eat as fast, so he gets 50% of the food every feeding time. I want the Angels to stay biger than him, but its not looking like it will be that way for long.

Most reactions

Back