New To Tropics - My Story So Far Lol

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

No, don't use any ammonia or nitrite removers; they may lock up the toxins in a form that the bacteria can't use, causing the bacteria to starve. More water changes are the best remedy; at least your tank's only small!

ok the molly and the tetras are back with their mates at maidenhead, ive done an 80% water change but going to leave them alone until tomorrow, as the water im adding is at a lower temperature, http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/PURE_Aquarium.html is the product i was advised to buy, as a sucker i did, and added 1 to this new water, as long as it does good and not bad i dont mind, and i know that its a shortcut but my tank needs any help it can get.

during the water change, i found my assasin buried under the pebbles and looked certainly dead, i took him out and placed on a small pocket of water on the top of the tank, for 20 mins no movement and was tempted to dispose, then he seemed to kick into action from the dead :)

Yet again cheers for the advice!

latest water test

ammonia:0ppm
nitrite:2ppm
nitrate 10ppm

Well, they must be worth a try at any rate!

I'd seriously consider doing another water change though; I'm really worried about that nitrite reading. It's perfectly ok to use water from the hot tap or from the kettle to warm the water if you need to.

Well, they must be worth a try at any rate!

I'd seriously consider doing another water change though; I'm really worried about that nitrite reading. It's perfectly ok to use water from the hot tap or from the kettle to warm the water if you need to.

ahh, I thought water which has been through the boiler would be no good, my hot water starts off with fine white deposits which clears pretty quick, when bathing my tortoise i have to wait for it to clear.

:hyper:

Perhaps use boiled water from the kettle, just to be on the safe side; although the white stuff is probably just calcium/limescale :good:

Perhaps use boiled water from the kettle, just to be on the safe side; although the white stuff is probably just calcium/limescale :good:

on a side note, the original platy i call ginge has now starting harassing and bullying the rest but mainly one female, sometimes she's pissed off other times she seems happy to flirt, but im hoping he doesnt start nipping her in his liasions.

It could be that you have too many males and not enough females?

3 more water changes and nitrite still at a minimum of 2, in the last water change i made sure i got as much of the junk between my pebbles and substrate that i could, is their anything else i could do to get rid of the nitrite as well as water changes, or any causes other than fish/food waste?, my filters setup with sponge then carbon then biomax then algae filter, i added the algae filter yesterday. Would attempting to get the fish out temporarily, removing all the lower sand, sucking up any dirt on the pebbles and refilling. Its a right pain in the rear catching fish in the edge though lol

Tbh, the edge is a lovely looking tank, but you are very limited as to what you can keep in it.
I had one which I've recently sold.
In mine I had a Betta & 3 endlers
Remember Lfs are there to sell you fish, so you can't always rely on their advice, this forum is the best place to give you unbiased help

yeah you could put the fish in a bucket and do a 100% water change :)

full water change 4 hours ago, fish back in 1 feeding,

ammonia:0ppm
ph:7.6
nitrite:0ppm
nitrate:5ppm

lets hope the tank starts cycling properly on its own, i removed all sand substrate, have small amount of pebbles a few floating plants, a couple of java moss patches ready to grow and willow moss attached to a rock, ginge is still performing, constantly harassing a female, at 1st it looked like buting but he appears to be rubbing his nose across her face, sometimes she flirts other times she runs away, another female seems to want to get in on the act and nudges in between in a friendly manner, i assume he's trying to get his end away lol, but she already looks pregnant.

Well now at least you may be able to manage it and keep the levels down with water changes, good luck!

nitrite slowly rising, I must admit that I am overfeeding the fish, I have several fry that I am trying to keep alive, hopefully in feeding the adults more they should stay away from seeking out their young and some excess will be nibbled at the bottom by the fry, I have got a second tank but its even smaller than the edge and has an all in one filter/air pump which might be too powerful/poor filtering and their is no heater in this tank. Added to this two of the females look like their pregnant and I have no idea how to tell how close they are till releasing their young.

What would be the best thing to do in this situation, the fry wil be extremely difficult to catch as the edge is extremely awkward to manoeuvre about in, syphoning could be an option, but wouldnt they die in the turmoil?

Ill add a pic of my quarantine(poor) tank shortly.

cheers

IMG_0263.jpg

It's a tricky situation, and I'm not sure what to suggest, tbh.

You can certainly syphon up fry; they're remarkably tough. Definitely cut back on the feeding; the fry will most likely be able to get enough. If the adults do eat some fry, it's probably for the best really; the reason livebearers have so many fry is because so many of them get eaten.

I know it sounds harsh, but as each female can have 40 or 50 fry every 30 days, there's no way you're going to be able to keep many of them anyway :/

Most reactions

Back