New to this forum stuff. Question in the description. Need answers please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Can the JD eat baby MTS or is there another certified snail killer that will control MTS population?

• No JD won’t eat MTS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes there’s another fish to eat them

• No there’s not another fish to eat them

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

GillyButChilly

Reaction score
I have 2 jack Dempsey cichlids in a 55 and I got 3 MTS and 3 Assassins. I know that JD are Like certified snail killers and I wasn’t sure how bad until the assassin snails just got wrecked. However the MTS did go to the bottom and and sink in and all that. So great. Well based on my research I found that they also reproduce insanely. I expect the JD to be able to kill them but their shell is super hard so idk. And I want more snails but I don’t want overpopulation. So do you think the JD can eat baby snails as they come Up? Possibly swallow them whole or whatever?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :fish: :hi: :fish:

I would say, because JD's are very aggressive, that if you got MTS, they will soon be eaten. JD's are much better kept with their own kind. Good luck!

(Please consider entering the July POTM contest. by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :) :thanks:

They don't normally eat them.

The easiest way to get rid of Malaysian livebearer snails is to use copper for 2 weeks. Low dose copper will kill the snails and then you can do some big water changes before adding Ramshorn snails, which the Jack Demspeys will eat.

Good point @Colin_T, I didn't think of that. Snails in general are very sensitive to copper. :)

If the copper is sufficient to kill snails it will be detrimental to the fish. The only way to deal with snails is to reduce their food.

Snails will reproduce according to the available food. This is not just excess food we might feed the fish, it is all the organics accumulating in the tank. Snails eat all of this--fish excrement, any dead plant or fish matter, excess food. The population of snails is an indication as to how "dirty" the aquarium is. Malaysian Livebearing Snails are extremely useful in an aquarium; if they get eaten, so be it. But they get places you can't (obviously) and deal with the organics so they break down faster for the bacteria to handle.

You should never use any method to eradicate them other than manual removal. More frequent water changes with vacuuming of the substrate and filter cleanings will keep the organics down and that will control them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back