New To The Hobby

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JWilliams24 said:
Also to add; I just bought from amazon the book "The Perfect Aquarium: The Complete Guide to Setting Up and Maintaining an Aquarium"! Wanted some material to read and looking at reviews this seemed one of the top ones to go for! Any input from anyone?
smile.png

Well done for getting the book, a great starter for you.  This should be a good book because of the author but not sure if I have seen this one or not, the only thing is it is now eight years old and things may have changed a bit.  Good starting point though and you can then google the most up-to-date info.  A good book for beginners that I came across was Setting Up a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week by Stuart Thraves, and the second edition was written in 2010, so only three years old.  What I tend to do is look for good books then order them from my library, the one by Stuart Thraves they even bought in for me.  This way I can see if I like the book and whether I want to purchase it for my own library of fish books.  I know a lot of information is on the internet but personally I still think browsing through a book in bed is cool, plus with that usually it has to achieve certain standards to be published (hopefully).  One other tip, on Amazon look for the used books, I recently bought about eight for 1p each, the postage cost a bit but still cheaper than buying them new.  Look for used in good or excellent condition, all of mine look brand new.  One they found damaged on the spine when they went to pack it so I got it completely free, yet it was brand new apart from the damage!

Thanks for the advice and feedback! :) I'll check that book out too!

I feel exactly the same where I love having a book to read! :)

JWilliams24 said:
Just a quick question, where in south wales are you from? im in same area and new to all this too lol
The Neath area!
smile.png
I cycled two tanks using household ammonia bought from the Boots store in Neath..they have a 'household' range on the right hand side near the entrance opposite Wh Smiths.
Good luck !!

Terry.

The Taffy Apple said:

Just a quick question, where in south wales are you from? im in same area and new to all this too lol
The Neath area!
smile.png
I cycled two tanks using household ammonia bought from the Boots store in Neath..they have a 'household' range on the right hand side near the entrance opposite Wh Smiths.
Good luck !!

Terry.

Awh brilliant thanks for the reply! Will be looking there soon!

Most reactions

Back