New to the forum and would like some help .

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Herfatherseyes

Reaction score
I have a Betta and 4 lamb Chop Rasbora in a 3 gallon hospital tank . The Rasbora were a recent purchase and once home in my 20 gallon I noticed what looked to be a grain of salt on the lip of two of them . My bettas fins are not looking very good and got really worried when I noticed ripping to the bottom of his ventral fins. Right now I have them in the 3 gallon with aquarium salt . They are all eating and the mouths look like it is almost gone . The one I am most worried about is Axel ( my betta) I have also just purchased “ Jungle Fungus Clear “ from Amazon . Does anyone know if I should use that in the hospital tank and if so , would it be ok to add it with the aquarium salt in it , or do water changes over a few days and and then add the jungle fungus clear. If anyone can help I would appreciate it , I am afraid to do anything that would hurt the fish especially my boy . Thanks

Attachments

• C4DDF51B-422A-42AF-90B4-659C8D3D8E6C.jpeg
    C4DDF51B-422A-42AF-90B4-659C8D3D8E6C.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 21
  • 968ADBE6-D7AD-4C3A-80F7-5D5ADBFEFB67.jpeg
    968ADBE6-D7AD-4C3A-80F7-5D5ADBFEFB67.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 21
Any pictures of the rasboras with the white bit on the mouth?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water they came out of?

When you say "They are all eating and the mouths look like it is almost gone."
Is the mouth almost gone or the white bit on the mouth has gone?

I can't see any issues with the Bettas but if their water quality isn't good, that will cause lots of problems to all the fish.

--------------------

BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Welcome to TFF, from a fellow BC'er. :hi:

Follow Colin's advice. I have so little experience with disease issues in my 30 years in the hobby that I stay out of disease issues except for very general comments.

Looking ahead, there may be another problem. What size tank will be the betta's home when he is OK? And where are the rasbora going? Male bettas are not community fish and should be on their own. Small fish like the rasboras are shoaling and need a group of 10-12 minimum, but they should not be in the same tank as a betta. The betta may not appreciate their presence in "his" space, and small fish in with a betta often become nippy of fins or worse.

Welcome to our forum... :hi:
Frankly, I can't see from these pictures what could be wrong with this betta. And try to follow Colin's advice, like Byron has already mentioned.

Most reactions

Back