New to marine, opinions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

infinity

Reaction score
I stopped by the LFS today, and talked to a quite knowledgable guy about marine setups. I've never had one before, so I had alot of questions. He reccomended atleast a 30 gal, to minimize the differences in temperature? Although he said a 55g would be better, as the environment wouldn't be as sensitive for a beginner. They had a kit, which came w/ a 55g tank, Emperor 400 filtration, hood, lights, salt, heater and a pump for $299. It was all name brand stuff from what I could tell. He said it would be a good starter setup, and unless I wanted to add live rock/sand, it has everything. Or I could add a protein skimmer if I wanted live rock. I'm seriously considering this. He showed me some good $3.00-6.00 fish to start, nothign too expensive, and nothing aggressive, as he said that would seriously limit my options. There was a cool fish, although he said it was poisonous, and aggressive. Groupers too, albeit aggressive. I think I'd rather start w/ some good loooking fish, rather than watch some baddies eat feeder fish.

So anyways, sound okay? First time doing marine, just want some opinions.

Whare are you located?Maybe you could look in your local classified ad paper, for a super deal on an established tank with all the equipment that you will need.Dont buy that setup until you do some research.You will save alot of MONEY.

Do you think you will ever want corals?If yes, lighting will be top priority.

Bigger is better,get the biggest tank for your space and budget.

Live rock is a must IMO.

Skimmer is a must IMO.

Live sand is also a must IMO.

In this hobbie knowlege is a key.So ask ask and ask again :D

once you get started it really not to hard

:D Good luck

Don't buy anything until you read, read, read!!!

Anyone who tells you a skimmer is optional on a marine tank, don't go back to! Find another store!

$3-6 fish are rather cheap. I would definitely go around to other places and get both a second opinion and some books. Also, don't be afraid to ask other aquarists about the quality of both the fish and the equipment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back