new to mairne setups

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
hey guys I have been poking my nose around here latly and I know one of the answers that I am going to get is that I am going to need at least a 20-30 gallon tank, BUT I do have a 10 gallon that is just sitting here and I was wondering if it is possible for me to get started with that? and what I would need to do so.

Here is a link to a topic in the forum titled

URL=http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10611]Taking a large risk[/URL]

Dman is the starter of the topic, he starts out saying that he is going to start a 6 gallon marine tank, almost everyone tells him to stop and get a bigger tank (at least 20-30 gallons) but he refuses to listen to us. I STRONGLY urge you too get a larger tank, used 20 gallon tanks can be had for around 20 bucks if you look carefully, though I would go for a 30 gallon (the smallest I would personally go for if I was starting out.) Read the topic that I gave you the link to, I think that many of your questions will be answered. Have a great day. :thumbs:

Juan, I am a newbee without any fishes in my 55G tank - just water and rock - and I already wish I had a bigger tank! I hear that the smaller the more difficult, so if you pull it off, more power to ya! Good luck. :)

yeah I am actually going to be getting I think for now a 38 gallon( not sure about that yet just may go for the GL method and do things over time like buy the 55 for my wifes birthday since all this madness is her fault...and just pick up the pieces when I get the chance... that sounds like the best plan I have ever heard I think that I am going to go with a 55 just to surprise her.... although she is member now too so that she can tell me to go get her lunch when she is at work DARN MY LUCK I had to get her involved in the hobby too....

Good luck with your set-up! My husband and I just got a 90g tank and we both just LOVE it. We have had a lot of fun picking out the fish and decor. I'm sure you and your wife will have as much fun as we have. We are already planning on getting another tank when we can find room for it in the house! We'd love a 125g!

Don't be afraid of using your 10 gal for saltwater. Its a way to learn. I had mine set up for 10 months before graduating to a 55. Just keep 2 small fish in there with some hermits and snails, a chunk of LR and some sand, a filter and a small powerhead. Do a small water change every 2 weeks and top off with purified water every day. The only issue is lighting. You can use the 15 watts it came with, but not much will grow. Change the light to a 10k or 50/50 bulb and you will get moderate growth. Buy a 50/50 coralife light and more will grow (on the LR). I kept 2 clowns in mine and everything went fine as long as you go slow, read a lot, and pay attention to it.

ps - when you fill it, use 10 gals of purified water from Walmart or where-ever. You'll reduce the phosphates, no chlorine, and it will start you off better than using tap water.

Most reactions

Back