New To Killies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neomeris

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to killies. I'm looking for a kind of killie that can go in a 20 gallon tank with danios and non-aggressive gouramis, and possibly a BN pleco (bushy nose pleco) I'd like this killi to be non-agressive, colorful, small,easy to breed in the home aquarium, and hardy. I kind of like the common lyretail or the Bivitatum, but I'm open to suggestions.

Neomeris

Is anybody out there?

I'm new to killifish and I want to keep them successfully on the first try, and for that I will need help!

Neomeris

Been on holiday, sorry for the delay....
Fundulopanchax gardneri sp. would probably tick all the boxes you've mentioned above.
Regards
BigC

Thank you, I was starting to think nobody would answer! I decided against the BN, if that changes any decisions.
Do these killies bury their eggs? For me (a person with limited space and a desire to sell fish to good owners rather that overcrowd my tanks or 'cull' fish) the idea of fish eggs that hatch with the addition of water and can be mailed to buyers sounds like a good idea, as I do not like the idea of mailing hatched fish across the state

Neomeris

They are non annual plant spawners
you can collect the eggs daily
from mops made from 100% acrylic yarn tied to a cork
Regards
C

I saw this really awesome kind of Killifish at my LFS. It's called a 'Golden Australe'. I really like it. I rad up on it, and from what I read, you shouldn't keep two males together, but other than that it's non-aggressive. Would it work? The LFS doesn't have any Fundulopanchax gardneri that I have seen, but it does have over 200 tanks, so I could have missed it.

Hi Neomeris,

Depending on your tank size, two males is not recommended. Even though australe males killing each other is rare, they'll certainly have a wrestle which would result in the beautiful extension they get on the unpaired fins (tail, anal and dorsal fins) will be damaged.

I have some males in tanks by themselves and others in tanks where multiple males present. The ones in with females only are the best looking ones as all of their fins are perfect.

Hi, KillieOrCory!!! This is a twenty gallon tank. I was thinking about either one male and one female, or one male and two females. Thanks for your advice.

Welcome to the forum. What do 'diamond rhom piranhas' have to do with killifish??!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back