New To Goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tankman2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am considering venturing into the world of goldfish. I have a multiple years experience keeping various type of tropical fish but I am considering switching to goldfish. I live away from home for most of the year now and will have my family taking care of the tank which is a reason for the switch. I want fish that are a little less maintenance than standard tropical fish.

So, I have a 35gallon hexagon tank with an Aquaclear50 filter. I really do not have too much information on the various types of goldfish and which ones I can keep in this size tank, so any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Goldfish are by no means low maintenance. Personally I think goldfish should only really be kept in ponds or very large tanks, as they grow very large (common goldfish can exceed a foot by a long way, and fancy goldfish can also grow very large). In a tank that size, a massive amount of filtration would be needed and loads of water changes to keep the water quality good. But then they'd outgrow the tank. If you want a low maintenance tank, then a lightly stocked tropical community tank would a fine, as you wouldn't have to do a massive amount of water changes.

Frankly, I am very controversial insofar as keeping the standard goldfish in a tank...... I believe they can be kept successfully in an aquarium with the calculated number of water changes and adequate filtration and circulation..... and the point I'm trying to make is....... do not think you are "downscaling" merely because you are switching to GF's....... In fact...... keeping Goldfish in a tank requires more routine maintenance than a basic tropical tank would.....

Personally..... I keep breeding pairs in tanks (2 Males and a female in a std 3ft tank) exclussively for breeding purposes..... Once the eggs hatch... (2,000 to 3,000) I transfer the fry to ponds.....

BUT!.... If your intentions are to keep a "display" tank of Goldfish in a 35 Gal with an Aquaclear 50 filter.... I will recommend that you keep a maximum of 4 Commets (easiest fancy goldfish to keep) and do a 25% water change every 4 days....... Alternatively.... keep your easier to maintain tropical tank.... your family will manage......

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back