New to fish keeping.

Sand is better for Corydoras compared to gravel. As for the "marbled gourami," I assume it's Trichopodus trichopterus, which is an aggressive species of gourami. Having two or three in a 29 gallon would cause constant aggression. As for plants, you can grow them in both sand or gravel, provided you give the nutrients such as root tabs. Epiphyte plants such as Anubias and java fern are great for beginners. Top plants means floating plants which includes duckweed, Salvinia, frogbit, etc.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you have any recommendations for a "centerpiece" fish that can be kept in small groups, perhaps a different gourami? I would be greatly indebted.

Anything with barbels (the little feeler thingies) are best off with sand, as essjay said play sand is probably the best option as it's nice and cheap. Anything like gravel can damage these barbels with their sharp edges, sometimes the damage is irreversable. Personally I think sand looks better. Also all plants shouldn't have any problems being planted in it.

As crispii mentioned, the gourami can be quite aggresive, so it'd be best to avoid those unfortunately.

On a side note, yet quite a serious one, be careful on what information you take in from main stores like petsmart. Although on occasion you do find an assistant who really knows their stuff, alot of times they can give you information that can seriously harm your fish/tank. There's no end to storys of where people have followed their advice and met disaster very quickly. I'm glad that you came back here to cross reference the information you was given, hats off to you for doing that.
Always good to be thorough! I also prefer sand, so that all worked out quite nicely. I am struggling to find fish that are compatible with each other and that will truly thrive. If you have any recommendations I would really appreciate!

Depending on your hardness, you can keep a group of honey gourami or sparkling gourami.
My hardness and pH seem to suit the Honey Gourami, they are a spectacular fish! I didn't see any at either of my local pet stores, and am wondering if buying fish online is humane. I wouldn't want the little guys to suffer.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Do you have any recommendations for a "centerpiece" fish that can be kept in small groups, perhaps a different gourami? I would be greatly indebted.
Not all tanks need a real "centerpiece" fish. I prefer tanks that don't have centerpiece fishes. I guess that's a big misconception among aquarists, that tanks need to have a "centerpiece" fish.

Defiantly get sand for Cory cats - make sure the sand is very fine, as they are filter feeders.

My hardness and pH seem to suit the Honey Gourami, they are a spectacular fish! I didn't see any at either of my local pet stores, and am wondering if buying fish online is humane. I wouldn't want the little guys to suffer.
Can you ask your local pet stores if they can special order the fish for you?

Always good to be thorough! I also prefer sand, so that all worked out quite nicely. I am struggling to find fish that are compatible with each other and that will truly thrive. If you have any recommendations I would really appreciate!

Well there are many different routes you can take. It all depends on what type of tank you want?

I don't know too many fish species, I'm quite new myself so there's alot I'm still learning! I do know native tanks are getting really popular around where I live, and seems to be a good idea, I'd do it myself if I wasn't restricted by tank size. You could have a shoaling tank, a fast flowing tank, a still tank. Honestly the amount you can create with a fish tank is mesmerising!

Though I'll have to leave fish choices to others, as they'll know alot more species then I will

Buying fish online is OK, as long as you check the reviews and get with other members beforehand. (After all, thats how they are shipped to your LFS from the breeder)

Can you ask your local pet stores if they can special order the fish for you?
I will ask this Monday when I pick up the tank!
Buying fish online is OK, as long as you check the reviews and get with other members beforehand. (After all, thats how they are shipped to your LFS from the breeder)
Will do!

Not all tanks need a real "centerpiece" fish. I prefer tanks that don't have centerpiece fishes. I guess that's a big misconception among aquarists, that tanks need to have a "centerpiece" fish.

Defiantly get sand for Cory cats - make sure the sand is very fine, as they are filter feeders.
I really appreciate this statement, as this will be my first tank I would really like to experience that kind of "look at my cool colorful fish!" moment. On the other hand I completely agree, I think tanks with schools of fish are the most interesting and enjoyable to watch.

I really appreciate this statement, as this will be my first tank I would really like to experience that kind of "look at my cool colorful fish!" moment. On the other hand I completely agree, I think tanks with schools of fish are the most interesting and enjoyable to watch.

nine times out of ten, you'll find the "non-center piece" fish are the ones you'll be watching most. People have put shrimp in their tanks and found that it's all they look at because they're always busy and moving around. As for me, bottom dwellers are my thing, I can't get enough of them.

Hope I'm not bothering :thanks:

I just have a quick question about the nitrogen cycle. When I go and get my tank, how much sand will I need to put in there? And then I just fill it all the way up, and put a dechlorinator in it. I plug it all in and let it run 4 weeks with periodic testing every 3 or so days?

Thats a link to thread which will answer all your questioning about cycling the tank. There are some variables but seems as you're starting from scratch, they don't really come into play. All I can say is, follow the guideline and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, ask us and we'll help you as best we can :)

As for the sand, I honestly don't think it matters. personally I like my sand a little on the thick side so that when the fish swim they dont kick up the sand and expose the bottom glass, it also helps with plants so they can root/seat properly. I think it comes down to personal preference.

Edit- added a little more info

If I were to only get one Honey Gourami, what other small schooling fish could I keep besides the Corydoras?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back