New To Bettas..looking For Opinions On Fluval Chi 5g Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QuillTheBetta

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Traci. My Bettas name is Quill (though, that may be a given at this point). I dont know anything about specifics but hes a beautiful blue with red accents. I have had him since June and he is currently housed in 1 gallon Aqueon tank, with filter. Though I think the tank is a little small, I have been happy with it, its easy to upkeep but recently (the last month) or so it has started leaking from where the filter "clips" onto the tank. Today I purchased the Fluval Chi 5 Gallon tank. I havent really taken it out of the box yet but have read some reviews, while most are positive and most people with Bettas like it, there are a couple that have me really worried because it talks about how the Betta can get stuck in the filter. I have looked and looked at the filter and I am not sure how that is possible but I have seen a couple "reviews" on it that state it has happened. Though, those posts were written in 2010 and maybe Fluval has addressed the issue by now. Who knows.

So, that's how I ended up here on this site. I wanted to see if anyone has experience with the Chi and can let me know how big of a concern it is that he can get stuck? Please be gentle with me as like I said, I am extremely new to having any fish at all, I sort of got Quill on accident but I am totally in love with him! He's such a sweet little guy. I just want to make sure he's safe and continues to thrive and be happy.

Any help, advice, anything would be appreciated!

From my experience only a fish in poor health would have that problem. Generally speaking a betta in good health will be able to avoid getting stuck and the filtration on that tank isn't super powerful so I am guessing that would be the reason.

Moving to the bigger tank is a great idea and so is having a filter. Betta do well in 5-6 gallons with mild filtration.

It's a decent little tank. I've had mine for almost a year now, and haven't had much problem with it. It isn't incredibly easy to clean, but nothing horrible. Last night the light switch stopped working on mine. The light is switched on and won't go off. If don't think I'd pay full price for this tank again, but if you can get a deal on it go for it. Mine is stocked with a betta and shrimp. Very good tank for both. Gentle flow, so I really don't see how a betta could get trapped. Much have been sick.
I don't regret buying it. It looks good and my fish are happy! Did you get a lid? I would encourage you too. It helps with evaporation and in case your betta is a jumper. Expect to have to top it off every 3 or 4 days!

Hi,
The best way to keep your betta safe around the filter intake is to wrap a bit of filter foam around the intake valve and you can wrap it with a hair tie or rubber band. I've done this with all my tanks especially since the last two bettas I've used with my stronger filters were TINY little baby bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back