monkeywobbler
New Member
Hi guys!
I usually just lurk but I thought I'd ask for your opinion on a new tank (and I'm sure there'll be lots of opinion to listen to!).
I have a new tank (it's a 25ltr SICCE Moby Dick - not the best tank I've had but it was cheap and small [for the kitchen]
) and now it's cycled I noticed that the temperature was quite high (over 30). Took a look at the heater and it wasn't particularly high (22 I think), so I thought "aha, high ambient temperature", and then I thought "hang on just a minute, it's not exactly the Sahara here in not-so-sunny Peterborough" and took a look at the light which seemed to be getting quite warm. I turned the heater off, and it was still near the top end of the 20's the next day.
So I guess the light, and the summer weather is what's making the water so hot.
I'm not going to be buying another tank so I need some ideas for this one. Currently it has a horrible substrate (white quartz) which looked quite nice in the shop but actually looks a bit pants now it's in the tank. I'm happy to replace the substrate (bearing in mind the tank is lime green - now I'm typing this out I'm wondering why I bought a lime green tank). I also have some plants coming from Plants Alive -
Nymphaea Maculata
Echinodorus Peruensis
Echinodorus Parviflorus
Lobelia Cardinalis
Limnobium Spongia
Ludwigia Mullertii
Armoricia aquatica
plus I've got some unidentified plants from the LFS which I might get rid of along with some little java fern plantlets and a nice shaped piece of jopti (jopi? joti? I can't remember!
) wood.
So if anyone has any ideas about what could go in there (obviously not a large amount as it's small), apart from a Betta, I would love to hear them! I'm very into planted aquariums and would love ideas on how I could get the most out of the plants I already have in conjunction with some cool fauna. There aren't really any fish I don't like - although I suppose fish that like a high temp would do better for me.
Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Monkey
I usually just lurk but I thought I'd ask for your opinion on a new tank (and I'm sure there'll be lots of opinion to listen to!).
I have a new tank (it's a 25ltr SICCE Moby Dick - not the best tank I've had but it was cheap and small [for the kitchen]
) and now it's cycled I noticed that the temperature was quite high (over 30). Took a look at the heater and it wasn't particularly high (22 I think), so I thought "aha, high ambient temperature", and then I thought "hang on just a minute, it's not exactly the Sahara here in not-so-sunny Peterborough" and took a look at the light which seemed to be getting quite warm. I turned the heater off, and it was still near the top end of the 20's the next day.So I guess the light, and the summer weather is what's making the water so hot.
I'm not going to be buying another tank so I need some ideas for this one. Currently it has a horrible substrate (white quartz) which looked quite nice in the shop but actually looks a bit pants now it's in the tank. I'm happy to replace the substrate (bearing in mind the tank is lime green - now I'm typing this out I'm wondering why I bought a lime green tank). I also have some plants coming from Plants Alive -
Nymphaea Maculata
Echinodorus Peruensis
Echinodorus Parviflorus
Lobelia Cardinalis
Limnobium Spongia
Ludwigia Mullertii
Armoricia aquatica
plus I've got some unidentified plants from the LFS which I might get rid of along with some little java fern plantlets and a nice shaped piece of jopti (jopi? joti? I can't remember!
So if anyone has any ideas about what could go in there (obviously not a large amount as it's small), apart from a Betta, I would love to hear them! I'm very into planted aquariums and would love ideas on how I could get the most out of the plants I already have in conjunction with some cool fauna. There aren't really any fish I don't like - although I suppose fish that like a high temp would do better for me.
Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Monkey
/www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&...st&p=979038






