New Tank-What fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

amy1994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Its been probably a few years since i've bought any new fish, unfortunately my last Discus died a while ago and all i have now is a Black Ghost Knifefish and a Blue Phantom Pleco, it's looking pretty bare in a 6ft tank! It's been years since i've had anything other than Discus, so i'm looking at options of what else i might be able to have in there now. I was thinking a couple Oscars but would my fish be in danger of being eaten? I think it might be a good chance they would try to eat them? Also would love a sailfin or another big Pleco if possible. I'm doing some research but as i've said its been a while and i've forgotten a few things, so just getting ideas at the moment, grateful for any help/info :)

How big is the pleco and the knifefish? If they are the same size as a full grown Oscar then there shouldn’t be issue of them getting eaten. But oscars are hard on plants, they like to dig them up or just knock them around with there boisterous behavior. They will also knock rocks and driftwood around if they aren’t secure.

Ye thanks i've seen in past people always say no plants with Oscars. and luckily i don't have any of those anymore either haha, as pretty as they are. Didn't know about the wood though, so that would be something to think about for the pleco and knifefish. Knifefish is i'd say a good 30cm, pleco about 7", i've had him about 7 years

I'm open to any ideas at the moment though for any tankmates :) Just getting some research done

Hi

A 6 foot tank is usually too small for a Ghost knife especially if its a Black ghost knifefish, While the length may be ok the tank needs to be at least 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide Knife fish do not bend and will have trouble turning around when full grown if the tank isnt wide or tall enough.

I've always in past on here and shops been told my 500l was fine :(
But if anyone had any ideas of tankmates please let me know

The tank in which a black ghost knifefish lives should always be triple the fish's length, and wider that the fish's length. At maturity, since this fish will attain 20 inches (50 cm) the tank needs to be a minimum 5 feet length and 2 feet width. The fish is inflexible and must be able to turn around.

As for tankmates, boisterous or aggressive cichlids like Oscars are not advisable. It will likely eat small fish, so tankmates should be 6 inches or more. Well suited with angelfish, discus or the medium peaceful South American cichlids such as Geophagus species. Avoid any nippy or aggressive fish. Knifefish produce an electrical field used to hunt prey, and must never be kept with other electric fish.

Knifefish do not appreciate overhead lighting, they are fish accustomed to very dim water, and are alsonocturnal. Floating plants will help with this, and the lower levels could be lots of wood and branches, but no plants.

Most reactions

Back