New tank upgrade soon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If fish are dying in the bag on the way home it is from stress. It can be from someone chasing the fish around the tank for several minutes before catching them, or the fish might have only come into the shop that day or the day before and the stress of being caught out and bagged up kills them.

It's a good idea to find out when the shop gets their fish in, it might be Wednesdays, and you should buy fish the day before they come in. That way the fish you buy will have been in the shop tanks for at least 6 days before you buy them and they won't be as stressed out.

You want to try and avoid buying fish that have not been in the shop tanks for at least 3 days, and the longer they are in the shop tanks the less stress they suffer when moved to a new tank.

Re: fish being chased around before you buy them. A shop assistant should be able to catch any fish in a tank within a few seconds of the nets going into the tank. If they chase the fish all over the tank for a minute or more, tell them to stop and you will come back another day. One of the petshops I use to visit would allow me to catch my own fish. However, one day when I was there they had a new guy who wouldn't let me catch my own. He spent about 5 minutes chasing 6 fish around a tank and I told him to stop but he didn't. I took the fish and lost 3 of them on the way home and the other 3 died within a couple of days. I went back and spoke to the boss and he spat the dummy at the new guy because the fish cost a lot of money.

Basically to catch fish out of an aquarium you use two nets, 1 big and 1 small. You set the big net up and guide the fish into it with the smaller net. If the shop assistants chase fish around with 1 net, find another worker who knows how to catch fish.

----------------------
Some catfish get their pectoral fins caught in the mesh of some nets. I use white fine mesh nets for pictus catfish and clown loaches because if you use a green course mesh net they always get caught in the netting.

You want to try and get the netting off the catfish so it doesn't get infected and have issues.

Yea, they were chased around for a while. But one was really easy to get. They died within 20 min. One died b4 I even left the store. And w the catfish being stuck in the net for miners and that there still alive... I guess it also has to do with how hardy the fish are. The 3 that died were small.

The catfish with the injured fin w the net has died. His gill looked blood red on a side.

If fish are dying in the bag on the way home it is from stress. It can be from someone chasing the fish around the tank for several minutes before catching them, or the fish might have only come into the shop that day or the day before and the stress of being caught out and bagged up kills them.

It's a good idea to find out when the shop gets their fish in, it might be Wednesdays, and you should buy fish the day before they come in. That way the fish you buy will have been in the shop tanks for at least 6 days before you buy them and they won't be as stressed out.

You want to try and avoid buying fish that have not been in the shop tanks for at least 3 days, and the longer they are in the shop tanks the less stress they suffer when moved to a new tank.

Re: fish being chased around before you buy them. A shop assistant should be able to catch any fish in a tank within a few seconds of the nets going into the tank. If they chase the fish all over the tank for a minute or more, tell them to stop and you will come back another day. One of the petshops I use to visit would allow me to catch my own fish. However, one day when I was there they had a new guy who wouldn't let me catch my own. He spent about 5 minutes chasing 6 fish around a tank and I told him to stop but he didn't. I took the fish and lost 3 of them on the way home and the other 3 died within a couple of days. I went back and spoke to the boss and he spat the dummy at the new guy because the fish cost a lot of money.

Basically to catch fish out of an aquarium you use two nets, 1 big and 1 small. You set the big net up and guide the fish into it with the smaller net. If the shop assistants chase fish around with 1 net, find another worker who knows how to catch fish.

----------------------
Some catfish get their pectoral fins caught in the mesh of some nets. I use white fine mesh nets for pictus catfish and clown loaches because if you use a green course mesh net they always get caught in the netting.

You want to try and get the netting off the catfish so it doesn't get infected and have issues.
I got a 75 gallon tank yesterday.. $500 for the tank and filter/heater

----------------------

So I had a Cory catfish and 2 piscis catfish die. One from Injury and the other 2 from... ich?? I just got a 75 gallon tank i was going to add them too and the honey gourami. I never dealt with I ich bit from the dead pictus catfish it had alllooot of white spots that lifted up a bit.. help? They are still in the 10 gal the tank was doing good until I got the piscis... I did a 50%wc last night.

The last piscis alive has it BAD

Do an 80% water change and complete gravel clean each day and post a picture of the fish so we can confirm it has whitespot. The water change won't cure the ich? but will reduce the number of pathogens in the water and hopefully keep the fish alive until you can start treatment. And if it isn't ich but is a water quality issue, the big water change will help fix that too.
But we need a picture of the fish to confirm it has whitespot.

If it has whitespot you can treat the tank by warming the water up to 30C and keeping it there for 2 weeks. Or you can use malachite green (found in most ich/ whitespot cures) at half strength. Increase aeration when raising the temperature or treating the fish.

There's more info on ich/ whitespot at the following link. The first post on page 1 and last post on page 2 are the bits to read.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/page-2

------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page.

when you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

remove carbon from filters before treating.

Do an 80% water change and complete gravel clean each day and post a picture of the fish so we can confirm it has whitespot. The water change won't cure the ich? but will reduce the number of pathogens in the water and hopefully keep the fish alive until you can start treatment. And if it isn't ich but is a water quality issue, the big water change will help fix that too.
But we need a picture of the fish to confirm it has whitespot.

If it has whitespot you can treat the tank by warming the water up to 30C and keeping it there for 2 weeks. Or you can use malachite green (found in most ich/ whitespot cures) at half strength. Increase aeration when raising the temperature or treating the fish.

There's more info on ich/ whitespot at the following link. The first post on page 1 and last post on page 2 are the bits to read.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-is-ich.7092/page-2

------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page.

when you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

remove carbon from filters before treating.
I need a laptop to send a photo. I can have it after 4pm tomorrow i have work. I'm really sure its i ch there is alot more white spots.... umm raise the temp up and I also have aquarium salt. One catfish has it really bad so he might not make it.

I got my 75 gallon tank could i add clown loaches to it ? I'm looking for fish to stock it rn.

If you are positive it is whitespot/ ich, then raise the temperature to 30C (86F) and increase aeration. Keep the temp at 30C for 2 weeks and that should fix the problem.

If you are positive it is whitespot/ ich, then raise the temperature to 30C (86F) and increase aeration. Keep the temp at 30C for 2 weeks and that should fix the problem.
Thanks. Should I get anything to treat the tank? I'm going to raise the hear and turn up the filters.

If you use heat treatment (raising the water temperature to 30C) you do not need to add anything else. Just raise the temperature and increase the aeration to maximise the oxygen levels in the water. Then keep the tank at 30C for 2 weeks and you should be right.

If you use heat treatment (raising the water temperature to 30C) you do not need to add anything else. Just raise the temperature and increase the aeration to maximise the oxygen levels in the water. Then keep the tank at 30C for 2 weeks and you should be right.
Ok. I just checked on them. Still alive, thanks.

I did that, th 3 piscis catfish died and so did a lil panda Cory:( I still have the honey gourami and 2 corys left that seem to be back and healthy.

I was thinking of stocking my 75 gal with some semi aggressive fish. I have a lil idea so far.

1 Red fin black shark
5 or 6 red/black rainbow sharks
6 or 8 Denison barbs
6 cory
And maby some others. It'll be expensive but I need some good hiding spots for the fish. I'll try to plant the tank, maby add some rocks/slate or driftwood. Could get these from a creek? Or will it need to be store bought. Any ideas on other fish? I'm all ears!

Thanks.

you need to continue treatment for 2 weeks, then wait and make sure all the fish are ok before adding any more fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back