New Tank Setup

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello TFF. Have kept tanks for years and have never considered setting up and maintaining a tank for someone else. Was recently asked to set up and maintain a 55 gallon tank for a local government office. They want Comets and Shubunkin Goldfish. I've explained to them that no more than three and possibly four could be kept in 55 gallons of water. They'd like to get the fish relatively quickly. I'm thinking that after cleaning and setting up the inside, I could use a couple of large sponge filters from my tanks to instantly cycle their tank. In the past I've also used APIs "Quick Start" with each weekly water change of 50 percent when setting up a new tank. I'm thinking this should allow me to get fish into this new tank fairly soon after setting it up. Any thoughts?

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello again. Will use Eco-Complete and cover that with a larger gravel. The Eco-Complete should help keep the water clear of what little nitrogen is left after the large, weekly water changes. I'm thinking a couple different species of Anubias and possibly Java Fern. Nothing very fancy.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello again. Will use Eco-Complete and cover that with a larger gravel. The Eco-Complete should help keep the water clear of what little nitrogen is left after the large, weekly water changes. I'm thinking a couple different species of Anubias and possibly Java Fern. Nothing very fancy.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
if you want to cycle a tank faster, use old plants or plants that are in a pet store rather than tissue cultures in the little containers
I also think that comets wont fit in a 55 gallon only smaller gold fish
if its easy to bring water, you should bring like a 5 gallon of old water to help cycle it as well.

this is just what i found, but i only set up 4 tanks before :)

Hello Sgooosh. Thanks. I have adult Comets in a couple of my 55 gallon tanks. Water from an established tank won't hold much bacteria. Bacteria generally colonizes surfaces. Plants from an established tank would help the cycling process. The water from an established tank, for example the water from the tanks at the LFS, where I plan to get the fish, will help in the fish acclamation process.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back