What's new

New Tank Setup

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Potter4

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first fish tank. I’m new to this hobby, looking forward to looking through all the information 😊 We got our tank set up tonight.
81CA8E94-358F-4BFE-A364-51DC9F03DA30.jpeg

Welcome to TFF. Be sure to cycle your new tank. What size is the tank? What are your stocking plans?

Welcome to TFF. Be sure to cycle your new tank. What size is the tank? What are your stocking plans?
Thank you 😊 Ok, so to be honest, I didn’t know there was so much to do 😬 We bought the tank and decor, and then I started looking up stuff, and realized there was alooot to learn. So, we set it up and I came on here to learn how to do it the right way. It is a 55 gallon tank. My husband really likes the chichlids we saw at a local fish store.

Oh, and enjoy the learning curve! It is so much better to make mistakes before having the fish not after (I have made a lot of mistakes but finally got my fish today). They seem very happy so it was worth the wait.

I am not a fan of fake bright plants but I have to say I REALLY like the overall look of this tank. Wish real plants could look so nice and clean 😂
Thank you 😊 my daughter picked them out. She loves bright colors, as you can see 😂

Oh, and enjoy the learning curve! It is so much better to make mistakes before having the fish not after (I have made a lot of mistakes but finally got my fish today). They seem very happy so it was worth the wait.
Yes, I’m so glad I found out there was much to learn before I got any fish. I would have been upset to know I was the cause of problems. I’m happy to wait to have a chance to have happy healthy fish.

Yes, I’m so glad I found out there was much to learn before I got any fish. I would have been upset to know I was the cause of problems. I’m happy to wait to have a chance to have happy healthy fish.
Welcome to the forum.

As advised above, be certain to read and understand the cycling sticky in the link provided above.

Cycling a tank to make it safe for fish is of utmost importance, but it takes time, so you must be patient, especially with little ones anxious to see fish in their new tank.

Patience is key in fishkeeping ;), and that patience will be rewarded with healthy, happy fish.

Welcome to the forum.

As advised above, be certain to read and understand the cycling sticky in the link provided above.

Cycling a tank to make it safe for fish is of utmost importance, but it takes time, so you must be patient, especially with little ones anxious to see fish in their new tank.

Patience is key in fishkeeping ;), and that patience will be rewarded with healthy, happy fish.
Thank you 😊 they are a little older, so they understand. I think they are content just looking at it how it is now 😂 I’m definitely going to do it the right way, I am going to get some ammonia today. I appreciate all of your guys advice and help 😊

Thank you 😊 they are a little older, so they understand. I think they are content just looking at it how it is now 😂 I’m definitely going to do it the right way, I am going to get some ammonia today. I appreciate all of your guys advice and help 😊
Nice!
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they sell ammonia that is suitable for cycling...you want one that is pure ammonium hydroxide, no soaps, perfumes, dyes, surfactants, etc.

Also, be sure to invest in a couple of other items, most importantly, a good test kit...many of us use this one, with great results: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

You need a good water conditioner as well, get either some Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner.

Post any questions you have once you start your cycle on this thread, and we'll be glad to help.

Nice!
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they sell ammonia that is suitable for cycling...you want one that is pure ammonium hydroxide, no soaps, perfumes, dyes, surfactants, etc.

Also, be sure to invest in a couple of other items, most importantly, a good test kit...many of us use this one, with great results: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

You need a good water conditioner as well, get either some Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner.

Post any questions you have once you start your cycle on this thread, and we'll be glad to help.
I actually got the API test kit and water conditioner. The pet store we got the tank and stand from said I would need that. That’s when I started looking up all the stuff the test kit tested for lol. Thank you, I’m sure I will have a lot of questions

I actually got the API test kit and water conditioner. The pet store we got the tank and stand from said I would need that. That’s when I started looking up all the stuff the test kit tested for lol. Thank you, I’m sure I will have a lot of questions
Good deal...

It would help to know your water parameter such as General Hardness. Also let us know the PH before adding ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back