New Tank Set Up

cheerycherry

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I finally manages to set up my rocks and got my sand and water in my new juwel rio 300 but I have a yukky film on top of the water which im sure has to be something to do with the sand maybe?

Im new to sand only ever used gravel and never had this before.Its like clumps of brownish bubbles floating around and it looks horrible.The sand was washed well but is this normal? will it settle after a few days or should I do anything to help it?

Also how much Ammonia should I be adding for a 300 litre tank?
 
Assuming you are doing the fishless cycle, then roughly 15mls of ammonia (9.5% solution) for 5ppm of ammonia :good: as per aquarium calculator at the top of the forum.

The brown gunk is probably from the sand/rocks, get some good quality kitchen roll and place a sheet lightly on the surface, this will soak it up.

Also increase or move the flow from the filter to break the surface, might help clear some up .
 

Most reactions

Back
Top