New Tank Project - Advice?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jaixion

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I have reposted this question or posted in the wrong forum!
I have recently purchased a 370L tank (approx. 100 gallons) and I'd like to set it up as a tropical tank.
I currently have another tropical tank (70L) with a single Black Ghost Knife fish. I'd like to move him to the bigger tank and make a community tank once the new tank has been cycled. As I'm relatively new to fishkeeping (purchased BGK in July) I've got some questions about the setup of the tank.
I'd like the community tank to consist of these sorts of fish - bristlenose catfish/pleco/sailfin catfish, clown loaches, electric blue and electric yellow cichlids and a red tail or black shark. I'd also like to have a school of small fish (neon tetra, black neon tetras, mollys, lemon tetra, harlequin rasporas) to add a bit of color to the tank.
I understand that not all of these fish will be compatible, i.e the cichlids and sharks can be aggressive. I also understand that smaller fish are often prey for larger fish (sharks) however I have read that in a large enough group, schools of fish are relatively safe.
So, I'm just wondering if anyone has any adivce or experience with these types of fish together? If not, could anyone suggest any other types of fish that might be compatible? Has anyone kept small schooling fish with large predator fish with no problems?
smile.png

In relation to the tank itself, any advice on pH, salinity, nitrite, nitrate, amonia levels etc as well as temperature would be appreciated. (My tank is about 25 degrees celcius)
I'd also really appreciate any advice and information about interior decorations including opinions on live plants vs fake plants, live rocks, hiding places, substrate type etc.
Thanks in advance guys, I look forward to hearing from you!
smile.png

I do not know too much about the cichlids and sharks except for the fact that cichlids tend to prefer being alone, and that both cichlids and sharks tend to be agressive and should not be put into a tank with peaceful community fish. If you do put these in combination with types of sharks that can live together or the same with cichlids, I suggest NOT putting in the BN pleco or the loaches or the school of small fish. BUT if you decide just to put in one or two schools of small fish, the BN pleco, and maybe a loach, but instead of a loach I would suggest a school of Cory Catfish. These are some of the friendliest catfish you will ever see and they love to school on the tank floor. They also only grow to 3 inches and are great cleaners.

:hi: to the forum.

Have a read of the link in my signature, it will help you a lot about your questions concerning nitrite, nitrate and ammonia.

Salinity shouldn't be an issue with your fish, as you should not be adding salt, therefore you do not need to measure it :)

You will, unfortunately, need to upgrade your tank again, soon. Because Black Ghost Knife fish need a tank of at least 456L (120G). Though yours will be fine for awhile in your tank.

The rest of the things, I am not sure about, sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back