New Tank Plants, What's The Best Way To Look After Them

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

blendingshadow

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I have set up a new tank and have an inch of sand and then i have overlaid it with 2 inches of fine gravel. I have set up the tank and put the plants in but some of the seem to be either melting, dying or not looking too healthy at the base. It's about 2 weeks in and I am wondering if I have done something wrong or if I should have approached planting them a different way and or I should prune the dead areas of the plant which appear to be at the base?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Ta

Im no expert myself, but i just prune back the dead bits and once a week (or so) i add some plant feed in to the tank and this seems to work ok for me. Although im having no luck with amazon swords, just seem to melt in my tank for some reason :crazy:

Also... i got a powerhead a couple of weeks ago and thats perked the plants up a bit too.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck :lol:

G

Are the plants true aquatics? Many lfs sell non aquatics and marginals as aquarium plants. I see a lot of sweetflag and mondo grass in my area.
As for care, low tech. here. At present three amazon swords, one was a stowaway. Two anubias nana, and a cluster of moneywort, that has doubled in a month from pruning and replanting. Getting more plants, but adding one at a time. So far everything growing fine.

Most reactions

Back