New Tank. Opinions On The Fish In My Tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lexizdanov

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!
So I cyclyed my tank and began starting to add fish to my 55 gallon tank. It may be a little bit bigger. It currently has 2 angelicus botia loaches (polka dot loaches) and 2 angelfish.I have done some research on which fish would go well together, but I would like to double check with you guys. I was thinking:
  • 2 Angelicus Potias
  • 2 Angel Fish
  • 2 Silver Hatchet Fish
  • 3 Dwarf Gouramis
  • 5 Von Rio Flame Tetras
What do you think? More? Less? Any other fish you think I should add or might look good in my tank? Let me know! Thanks
smile.png

Hi :)

First thing you need to do is have the schooling and gregarious fish in bigger groups/schools. So that would result in

2 Angel Fish
3 Dwarf Gourami - 1m 2f - not the best choice to go with Angels as they inhabit the same upper water territory which can cause conflict. I would personally choose something like a trio of Apistogramma which will stay lower in the tank and will not clash with the Angels
8-10 Silver Hatchet Fish
8-10 Von Rio Flame Tetras
5 Angelicus Botias

That would be a nice tank and give you a good cross section of activity and colours :)

Wills

Yay! Flame tetras!
I would do

2 Angel Fish
10-12 Silver Hatchet Fish
10-12Von Rio Flame Tetras
8 angelicus Botias

Thank you! I will definatly go get some more loaches soon. I was thinking to get dwarf gouramis so they wouldnt be as teritorial but i guess i was wrong. Thanks!
Is this better.
  • 2 Angel Fish
  • 5 Botias
  • 10 Hatchet Fish
  • 10 Tetras
Sadly they don't have Apistogramma at my pet store. Would you reccomend getting all of my schooling fish at once? I was told all fish two or three at a time.

How long has your tank been set up and how did you cycle the tank?

Wills

yeah i think you should have 6+ botias as they will show alot more natural behavior .
Also 2 angel fish are good 
also if you had 6-8 Silver Hatchet Fish and 6-8 Von Rio Flame Tetras you could get 6-8 more of another schooling fish (rummeynose tetra Etc)

Great idea! The more variety the better! My local pet stores don't have rummey nose tetras, but they look amazing! So here is my final cut (hopefully):
  • 2 Angel Fish
  • 4-6 Botias (worried about space for them)
  • 6 Silver Hatchet Fish
  • 6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
  • 6 Bloodfin Tetras (look similar to rummeynose tetras!)
Still no word on if I should add all my schooling fish at once. Please let me know soon! Would this be over crowding my tank? 

Answer wills question and we should be able to tell you whether or not you should add all the fish at once.

Lexizdanov said:
Great idea! The more variety the better! My local pet stores don't have rummey nose tetras, but they look amazing! So here is my final cut (hopefully):

• 2 Angel Fish
  • 4-6 Botias (worried about space for them)
  • 6 Silver Hatchet Fish
  • 6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
  • 6 Bloodfin Tetras (look similar to rummeynose tetras!)
Still no word on if I should add all my schooling fish at once. Please let me know soon! Would this be over crowding my tank?
Little schools don't make an impact at all. I was lie you at the beginning. I stuffed 3 species of tetra in small schools for variety and it looked... Bad. The fish didn't look too happy either. I removed one species and upped the numbers of the other 2. The remaining fish were much more ' happy ' and the tank looked better! :)

As to your question,
Wills said:
How long has your tank been set up and how did you cycle the tank?

Wills
I know, I'm answering a question with a question but I need the answer to the question about the question to answer the question in question. If that makes sense.... :p

Most loach species in a suitably sized community tank would normally make up a sizeable fraction of the total stocking, because they should be kept in groups of at least 8+, but ideally more. They form complex hierachies, keeping them in low numbers can either result in fish you never see and/or aggression within the group plus tankmates.

Polka Dot Loaches are not small fish as adults, something close to ~15cm SL is normal, so even 8 of them is ~120cm of adult fish. In a typical 55US g (48"x13"x21") ~209l tank, 120cm of adult fish is quite a high stocking level, before you even consider any other species.

Sorry guys didn't see that question! I did a fishless cycle. I added a bacteria starter and ran my filter for about a month or so.  

Talltree01 thanks for letting me know! I want my fish to be happy and energetic! Is this good:
  • 2 Angel Fish
  • 5 Botias 
  • 8 Silver Hatchet Fish
  • 8 Von Rio Flame Tetras
Still worried about overcrowding my tank though. 

Just to check - did you also add ammonia during your fishless cycle?

Well, if you fishless cycled then you could, in theory, stock it all at once. But I wouldn't for 2 reasons:
1) if you accidentally mucked up teh cycle somehow ( not saying you did ) then it will be harder to undo the damage with more fush in there
And
2) it means more trips to the LFS. :devil:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back