New tank, new to gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mr-Furious99

Reaction score
I have a tank which is about 2-3 weeks old with live plants, 2 dwarf powder blue gouramis, some harlequins and corys. Everyone gets along.

The issue I'm having in my 29 gal tank is the filter. I bought a kit when I purchased the tank.. it came with an auto adjusting heater (not a fan) and an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. The filter has one flow speed and due to the hood on the tank, it's only slightly off center of the tank. The current is preventing the gouramis from accessing a good portion of the surface and I'm curious if that's an issue.

I was thinking about just picking up an AquaClear 50 Power Filter since I can control the speed. My question is.. how do I switch out filters which shocking the whole tank?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

As long as there is some calm water in the tank the gouramis should be fine.

If you want to change filters, simply take the filter material from the old filter and put it in the new filter. Add new filter materials too and you should be fine. Aquaclear HOB filters have lots of room and you can put a couple of sponges in them along with filter media from another filter.

However, before getting another filter, you could try putting a breeding net in the aquarium near the filter outlet. These are normally used to house baby fish in an aquarium but can be used to baffle the water flow. They consist of a rectangular frame with a fine mesh net over it. The frame hangs on the side of the tank and water flows through the netting. It should reduce the flow a bit.

If you get a sponge from an internal power filter, they usually fit over the intake strainer of most power filters and will help reduce the flow and provide more filter media.

Having some driftwood, rock, ornament or plants near the outlet can help break up the water movement.

Be aware the two DG's might start a war when they mature / settle in / get in mating mood.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back