New tank, need substrate ideas.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you for all the replies, I did not expect my very first thread on this site to have such detailed replies.

I think I am going to go with some aquatic soil in plastic filter bags topped with the B.D. Sand I posted a link to earlier in the thread. It will give me some options if I do decide to plant more but initially I think I will stick to my Anubis and I may buy some Java fern.
My tank is quite tall so I might need to add to my dragon stone I have in my current tank.

I am still undecided on the filter, I still want to go for the OASE BioMaster range but I don't know if I should get the 350 or 600.

Does that all sound good?

Cheers!

As this is still in the planning stages, I will point out that aquatic soil is not needed to grow plants. It is very doubtful that is has any value at all, considering the negative impacts on fish. The Anubias and Java Fern will obviously obtain no benefit as they are not rooted in the substrate. Future plants will not need this either, unless you are aiming for an aquatic garden with very few or no fish. I have always used fine gravel or soft sand (I changed to sand some 10 years ago). I have had very good plant growth just by using substrate tabs for the larger plants, and a comprehensive liquid. The fish waste provides more nutrients. The tank pictures is my 5-foot 115g Amazon riverscape.

Attachments

• 115g Aug 23-13.JPG
    115g Aug 23-13.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 45
Reliable information is only gathered from knowledgeable sources. Wikipedia is not in that class, period. Any half-wit can post nonsense and own sites on YouTube and similar that are completely useless. The biologists, ichthyologists and seasoned collectors are the reliable sources.

Ian Fuller who owns/runs CorydorasWorld has been collecting Corydoras species for 50 some years. He has stated that all Corydoras species occur over soft river sand. In a few habitats the substrate is a mix of sand and gravel, and mulm is often present. Corydoras feed by taking a mouthful of substrate, filtering out any food, and expelling the substrate out via the gills. This is programmed into the DNA. They cannot do this with gravel. Arguing any of this fact is like arguing the world is flat. Ignore the scientific evidence and fact, fine, but the opposite is wrong and false.
Arrogant piece of work aren't you? Perhaps you failed to read the reference document I supplied? It's a scientific, peer reviewed paper. As I stated previously, I've raised Corydoras juveniles myself, all of whom have been feeding off of gravel substrate. They all presented excellent rates of growth and absolutely no health issues.

I realize it's difficult for most people to accept facts that are contrary to their personal beliefs. Psychologists refer to it as "cognitive dissonance". You obviously are one of those people. As I suggested to another poster, read my signature line.

Arrogant piece of work aren't you? Perhaps you failed to read the reference document I supplied? It's a scientific, peer reviewed paper. As I stated previously, I've raised Corydoras juveniles myself, all of whom have been feeding off of gravel substrate. They all presented excellent rates of growth and absolutely no health issues.

I realize it's difficult for most people to accept facts that are contrary to their personal beliefs. Psychologists refer to it as "cognitive dissonance". You obviously are one of those people. As I suggested to another poster, read my signature line.
Ι give up. Seems like you don't want to listen.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with my personal beliefs, it is scientific fact. And forcing a fish to exist or survive under conditions foreign to the fish is not evidence that it doesn't matter. It only shows a lack of understanding that the strongest instinct in a fish as in all animals is to reproduce to ensure survival of the species, and a fish will swim, eat and spawn even if conditions are actually detrimental. Citing false data as proof of anything is a waste of time.

I have used this product and really like it. My Cories can filter it through their mouths/gills.

Avoid Carib Sea Moonlight sand. That stuff is way too fine and gets stirred up and settles all over the hardscape and risks getting into filter.
9939EF2B-2C45-48A8-A08A-0D4BDE50A8CD.png
9939EF2B-2C45-48A8-A08A-0D4BDE50A8CD.png

I have used this product and really like it. My Cories can filter it through their mouths/gills.

Avoid Carib Sea Moonlight sand. That stuff is way too fine and gets stirred up and settles all over the hardscape and risks getting into filter. View attachment 305374View attachment 305374
That's kinda expensive though. Especially for only 5lbs of it...

1874B7C3-FF8F-4C98-8902-6936FC698297.jpeg

I use rounded fine gravel and have done for a long time, got this from Maidenhead aquatics in the uk

jbl sansibar dark

It has nothing whatsoever to do with my personal beliefs, it is scientific fact. And forcing a fish to exist or survive under conditions foreign to the fish is not evidence that it doesn't matter. It only shows a lack of understanding that the strongest instinct in a fish as in all animals is to reproduce to ensure survival of the species, and a fish will swim, eat and spawn even if conditions are actually detrimental. Citing false data as proof of anything is a waste of time.

Go to 22:45 minutes into the video. I'm done here.

Go to 22:45 minutes into the video. I'm done here.

This same video was posted on CorydorasWorld some months back to allegedly "prove" that cories live over gravel just fine. It does not prove any such thing. What is not seen in this excerpt is that the substrate over which the Corydoras fish are swimming is a mix of sand and gravel, and there is enough sand to allow the fish to feed. And Ian Fuller, who has spent over fifty years spawning, collecting and conserving Corydoras species, pointed this out.

I previously said a few Corydoras habitats have a substrate of sand and gravel, others of sand and mulm, others of mulm. The vast majority have sand alone. Nothing in this or any other video disproves anything...except that there will always be individuals who force their fish to exist rather than thrive as they do if we work to provide what is in their best interests.

Agree. But, it comes really clean and ready to use.

The only issue I can see from the photo is the colour, white. This causes stress to substrate and upper fish too, depending upon the light overhead. It is possible to work around this by using dried leaves,lots of dark wood, a good cover of floating plants, and not bright tank lighting.

Agree. But, it comes really clean and ready to use.
I wouldn't assume that it's clean. It can get dusty just from being moved around when the dry sand particles rub against each other. A good cleaning won't hurt and not cleaning might result in a dusty tank.

Avoid Carib Sea Moonlight sand. That stuff is way too fine and gets stirred up and settles all over the hardscape and risks getting into filter. View attachment 305374View attachment 305374
You can also use play sand from a hardware store. It's meant for children to use which means it will be absolutely safe for fish. Non toxic and non abrasive. You can get a 50 pound bag for a fraction of that price.

As this is still in the planning stages, I will point out that aquatic soil is not needed to grow plants. It is very doubtful that is has any value at all, considering the negative impacts on fish. The Anubias and Java Fern will obviously obtain no benefit as they are not rooted in the substrate. Future plants will not need this either, unless you are aiming for an aquatic garden with very few or no fish. I have always used fine gravel or soft sand (I changed to sand some 10 years ago). I have had very good plant growth just by using substrate tabs for the larger plants, and a comprehensive liquid. The fish waste provides more nutrients. The tank pictures is my 5-foot 115g Amazon riverscape.
What are the floating plants in this pic?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back