New tank, need substrate ideas.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ElNevera

Reaction score
H All,
I'm new to the site but not new to fish keeping. I currently have a Roma 90 that has been running for 4 years and is doing well but I have bought a Juwel Lido 200 in white.

In my Roma 90 I have a group of C. Habrosus that are very cute and have been breeding. The substrate is Fluval Stratum but in the new tank I would like to use a sand or very fine gravel more suitable to the Cory's.
Can anyone recommend a substrate? I am not looking to plant anything other than easy to keep plants but am open to ideas scaping wise.

I also need a filter and have been looking at the Oase Biomaster Thermo range although I am not sure what size to go for. I like the easy clean pre filter and the heater being built into the filter itself.

Ideally, I want to add more Cory's going forward. Something a little bigger but they would obviously need to play nice with my C. Habrosus

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, are there any particular types? With a white tank with currently no background but I do have some opaque covering I can put on the back I wonder what colour of sand would be best?

Tan sand is usually the way to go.
And try to use play sand as it is made for children and therefore very fine and won't have many or no sharp pieces at all.
Thanks, are there any particular types? With a white tank with currently no background but I do have some opaque covering I can put on the back I wonder what colour of sand would be best?

A natural color. NOT totally black or white.

Sand is a bad idea. It can ruin the filter you are planning on installing, assuming you vacuum your substrate. The finer particles that are stirred up can enter the intake. Fine gravel is perfect for Corydoras. It also works great for most plants.

Sand is a bad idea. It can ruin the filter you are planning on installing, assuming you vacuum your substrate. The finer particles that are stirred up can enter the intake. Fine gravel is perfect for Corydoras. It also works great for most plants.
IMO... Fine gravel is NOT OK. Corys are filter feeders, and NEED sand...

I also have shrimp so I was planning on covering the filter intake with a sponge. What filter would you suggest to cope up with sand?

Sorry. That's simply false.
It isn't. It is written in their genetic code to sift through sand. They are MEANT to do it. I have watched the behavior myself. They also love to dig...
If they do that in fine gravel or sharp sand, they can cut their bodies and barbels.

All species of Corydoras require soft fine sand as the substrate. Their natural habitats all have this, usually straight sand, sometimes a mix of sand, gravel, silt depending. But all species live over sand. They filter feed by taking a mouthful of sand, extracting any particles of food, and expelling the sand via the gills. This is as another member noted a fact of their genetic makeup. To deny them this is cruel and inhumane, regardless of other serious issues resulting from different substrate. Gravel is a risk of bacterial issues for such substrate feeders.

As for the type of sand...colour is very important because the cories "expect" to blend in with the sand substrate, and having garish colours, or white or black, causes them stress. This is scientific fact, not debatable. A buff-tone sand is natural. You can use a dark natural tone, like dark buff or dark grey. You can buy aquarium river sand (make sure it is inert, not calcareous intended for marine fish or rift lake cichlids). Or use a quality play sand. As you @ElNevera are in the UK, you can use Argos Play Sand. Much less expensive, but good quality substrate sand.

As for the background, something dark and inobtrusive is best. This will calm the fish. I use plain black construction paper taped to the outside. The tank visually appears larger, the fish are less stressed, and the colours in the tank are more beautiful.

Thanks everyone, I am going to buy some Barlows B.D. Sand that has some good reviews.

Do I need to re think my filtering ideas?

What is Barlows B.D. Sand?

Most reactions

trending

Back