New tank mates for golden gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Miss darling

Reaction score
So thanks to the advice on here, I've realised I have to permanently remove my golden gourami from my community tank, due to the angel fish bully. If I was to set up my 200litre 4' long tank to house him (rather than rehoming) what else could I put with him...?
Would it be possible to get more gourami and just keep a small group with perhaps a pleco?
Thinking of ideas to talk my partner into setting up the other tank (currently not in use)

I’d maybe get a group of tiger barbs and a few Kuhli loaches

So thanks to the advice on here, I've realised I have to permanently remove my golden gourami from my community tank, due to the angel fish bully. If I was to set up my 200litre 4' long tank to house him (rather than rehoming) what else could I put with him...?
Would it be possible to get more gourami and just keep a small group with perhaps a pleco?
Thinking of ideas to talk my partner into setting up the other tank (currently not in use)

This gourami species is one of the more aggressive by nature, and once the female is free of the angelfish's attentions, it may become much the same, or it many not. A group of fish of species with traits like these should always be introduced together to the display, but even then there are no guarantees. We had a member a year or so back with a female of this species that ended up in a 10g tank, alone, as it literally killed every other fish in her larger tank. Personally, I would consider re-homing both fish and building a nice community.

Hi, personally I would get a few more Trichopodus Trichopterus(any of the colour strains), at the minimum get four more but limit the number of males to just one in total. Females can be just as aggressive but typically are less so than males.
I find this species really benefits from having a group of conspecifics.

Most reactions

Back