New Tank And Gravel Question

Raindancer411

New Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
Hi All

I went and picked up my new tank today (nearly didnt get it as it wouldnt fit in the car lol)... Its roughly 350l (72gallons) so over double what I got at the moment... My fishes wont know what to do once they finally go in after cycling it...

Anyway, my question is can I use the alpine gravel I brought from the garden centre provided that I wash it throughly in the tank???
 
i dont know about the gravel but why dont you just add the fillter media from you other tank into your new tank and then you can put the fish is streight away without having to cycle it
 
I can do that but just playing safe for the fishes sake... Seeing as the water is over double, wont there need to be more bacteria?
 
Nope as there will be the same bioload.

You may need an extra filter of the same type though. If it was me, id stick youre old filter in as it is plus another one the same (which will be uncycled) and youre good to go.
 
Great, how do I go about changing them from one tank to another as I know when you get new fish you float the bag you buy them in...

Anyone else any idea about if the alpine gravel from the garden centre is ok to use?
 
Fill up the new tank, dechlorineate and let it get up to tempreature. Bag the fish and then acclimatise them.You can swap the filters while the fish are floating.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top