New Shrimp

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Andover
I just got some "red grass shrimp" from my lfs.

I googled them and they are coming up as ghost shrimp, but they dont quite look the same. any ideas?
 
they look quite a lot like rudolf shrimp, but with shorter noses. :blink:

looks like this :
320050715141852wy7.th.jpg


but more opaque and with red in it. is it just a subspecies of ghost shrimp? will they be safe wih cherry shrimp and amano shrimp?
 
It will be hard to tell without a picture, but i would guess at one of the following:

It could be a Rudolph shrimp - http://shrimpnow.com/modules.php?Caridina%...rticle&id=3

Or it could be a red arm macro shrimp - http://www.petshrimp.com/redclawmacro.html

or it could be something else, my ghost shrimp have red markings on them occasionally.

If it is the first one they will be fine with other shrimp, if it is the second one it will probably get aggressive and attack them.
 
I think it's a rudolf... i will put them in my tank and see what happens, if they are aggressive, my clown loaches look hungry... :shifty:
 
I would say they are either Rudolph shrimp or colorful ghost shrimp. Keep an eye on their arms/claws to be certain, the claws as noticeably long on Macro shrimp.
 
I would say they are either Rudolph shrimp or colorful ghost shrimp. Keep an eye on their arms/claws to be certain, the claws as noticeably long on Macro shrimp.

I thought rudolph too, but their noses seem much shorter then pics i have seen :(

i'll keep an eye on the claws, cheers :D
 
But not all Rudolphs have a red nose -- only the males that are mature enough to grow one.

oh... :shout:

I'm positive they are rudolphs now, woop.
 
okay, just to annoy you all even more...they look totally different today.

they have gold/silver spots on them. :unsure:

pics in a bizzle.
 
bloody hell. i found a pic that looked just like my shrimp and it was called "jouvie rudolph shrimp" so i was like... yay :hyper:

Then i found another pic just like mine, called "Red Ghost Shrimp"

:angry: :angry:

looks like im just going to have to wait a while *impatiant*
 
bloody hell. i found a pic that looked just like my shrimp and it was called "jouvie rudolph shrimp" so i was like... yay :hyper:

Then i found another pic just like mine, called "Red Ghost Shrimp"

:angry: :angry:

looks like im just going to have to wait a while *impatiant*

:lol: I had a similar problem trying to ID my shrimps. They all look quite similar, everybody seems to give them their own common name and not many have proper scientific names.

They are great pics, but i'm still not certain which they are :P Time will tell.
 
haha cheers.

ever wish that tanks had a fast forward button on them? :hey:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top