FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KingMaddog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here and I just purchased a Marineland 29 gallon LED aquarium kit and I have a few questions.
1. Should I take my Bio-Wheel 100 from my existing 10 gallon tank and use it to help cycle the new tank?
2. Can I just leave the Bio-Wheel 100 on the new tank and run it with the Bio-Wheel 200 that came in the kit? That will give me 300gph.
3. Can I use Purigen in conjunction with carbon? I purchased a refillable media cartridge for the Bio-Wheel 200 to use in addition with the filter cartridge and want to put Purigen in it but never used Purigen.
4. Finally, will 40lbs of black sand from Petco be enough for this tank? It is 30"x12"x18".

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

40lbs of sand should be more than enough.  You might end up only using half.  I don't like my sand very deep because it can trap harmful gasses.  I would also run both filters. 

Would a 100watt heater be good enough for this tank? It came with a 200watt heater but the quality isn't that great and it only has a high-low setting. I would like to get a Marineland Visi-Therm. I was on site and saw that a 100watt is good for up to 29 gallons which is what I have. Should I go with a higher wattage to have less strain on the heater?

Your tank is approximately 100l, and the guideline is 1W per litre, so a 100W heater would be fine, but best go for a 150W.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back