new rocks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
they appear to be sandstone. This won't effect my water quality will it? I will certainly boil them before introducing them to the tank. Just wondering if anybody knows whether or not it will effect the ph or whatnot.

to make sure that rocks are safe for the aquarium pour vinegar on them after boiling. if the vinegar fizzes, do not add it to your tank. some river rocks are suitable for the tank with no effects on it.

semper fi

ahh ok i actually read about that at one point but probably would have never thought about it again. I will definately try it. The vinegar would react to stones like limestone correct?

my main point is that sand stone is not the same as lime stoneit might be slightly accidic or slightly salty but its not likely if you got it from a creek thats not near the sea. the slat thats in the sea comes from minerals that are given off by the animals that live around the rivers but it consentrateds in the seasome of this salt comes back to land thru rain but only in coastal reageons... look my point is well you put sand in your tank right? well depending on the general ph of the soil in your aria and the hardness of the rainfall it should be fine depending on the fish you are going to keep. most fish you see in your lfs that cost less than £5 or $5 will do fine imo

Most reactions

trending

Back