New Please Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

scottyboy1291

Reaction score
Hello all saltwater enthusiast.
I am setting up a new fish tank and want to know if i got all the right stuff or if i do not need it....
-a 30gal tank
-50gal outside filter
-ungerwater filter
-protein skimmer
-live sand
- live rock

Is this all that i need to set up my fish only tank or do i need more stuff to go along wiht it?
thanks

Hello all saltwater enthusiast.
I am setting up a new fish tank and want to know if i got all the right stuff or if i do not need it....
-a 30gal tank
-50gal outside filter
-ungerwater filter
-protein skimmer
-live sand
- live rock

Is this all that i need to set up my fish only tank or do i need more stuff to go along wiht it?
thanks

30g tank - check
50g outside filter - optional, most use a filter of some time for mechanical filtration, a modified refugium, or as a storage place for chemical filtration (activated carbon, etc)
undergravel filter - not used much anymore in Marine systems. I wouldn't bother.
protein skimmer - optional
live sand - unless you live very close to a supplier of live sand (which I happen to) you're not going to get much "live" in your live sand. I actually found live pods in mine. Use whatever Marine substrate is appealing to you. It can be non live. The Live rock will eventually populate the sand bed.
Live rock - extremely important! About 1lb per gallon. I've not had nearly enough coffee to do the UK conversion.

Other things you'll need...

Power heads - literature is out of date. Most books will say 10x tank turnover in an hour. Forums say 20x. I say between 20-40x. Some of my tanks are at 60x. Power heads provide circulation to your live rock. In the methodology most reef keepers tend to use, modifications of the Berlin Method, the Liverock is your primary source of filtration. It houses the beneficial bacteria that will convert your ammonia to nitrites, then to nitrates. The rock needs good circulation to do its job well. You can get rid of a lot on your list, but you gotta keep the tank, the liverock, and the power heads.

Refractometer - measures specific gravity. A round a bout way to measure how salty your water is by measuring its density. Actual salinity meters are very expensive.

Heater - unless you live in the tropics like me.

Please read through this resource center...

MARC

L

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back