New Pfk

MHunt

I think therefore I shouldn't
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
1,485
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
GB
Hello all,

I'm sure that many of the UK members and possibly a few of the non UK members are readers and possibly subscribers of Practical Fishkeeping.

I just wondered if anyone had got this months issue (with the arowana dragon fish on the front which is more the reason I got this issue) and what they thought of the new look.

I kind of like it, it's fresh and there's lots of useful information there, more side snippets here and there, but that's kind of my dislike, that there's almost too many little snippets, and not enough in depth articles. I do like the background information they give about the fish, such as habitat and distribution etc.

What's anyone elses opinion?
 
Been waiting for this issue, PFK have promised to place more emphasis on CA/SA cichlids, so personally I'm tempted to sign up for a subscription. Looking forward to see Lee Nuttal's awesome Cichlid tank in this months issue. Anyone know where you can buy it? E.g does it mean a trip to WHSmith?
 
Holidayinn, if you have a P@H near you they sell it I believe. Well the one near me does.

YF
 
Cheers youngfisher, the pets at home near me is a lot easier to get to then the WHSmith
 
ive got it and im not impressed...the biotope bits are good and the planted bits too...but the bit on dragonfish takes up too much of the mag
 
Been waiting for this issue, PFK have promised to place more emphasis on CA/SA cichlids, so personally I'm tempted to sign up for a subscription. Looking forward to see Lee Nuttal's awesome Cichlid tank in this months issue. Anyone know where you can buy it? E.g does it mean a trip to WHSmith?

I normally get mine from Tesco's, they have a great mag section in the one near my work and it's always there. But yeah most newsagents and many LFS's keep it in. The highlight for me was that monster marine tank. Got me thinking about my money no object dream tank. Absolutely stunning.
 
The place to articulate opinions of the new PFK are at the PFK web site. Or, if you feel strongly, e-mail the editor Matt Clarke.

Magazines were having a tough time competing with the Internet anyway, and the financial downturn has really put the squeeze on some of them. At least one magazine I wrote for has folded in the last few months. So, what I mean to say is that publishers and editors are acutely sensitive to the marketplace. A few e-mails expressing opinions and/or ideas could really make a difference.

The problem for magazines is that their readership is predominantly new to intermediate level aquarists. At least, that's the generally accepted opinion. If you'd like more articles on particular topics, you need to tell the editors and publishers of the magazines you read.

Cheers, Neale
 
I think it has gotten a bit better. I liked the arrowana article. I think mabye more planted tanks and livebearers (more in depth).

The livebearer article had a picture of a guppy with frayed fins :S ! They could have found a better picture IMO.
 
I think it has gotten a bit better. I liked the arrowana article. I think mabye more planted tanks and livebearers (more in depth).

The livebearer article had a picture of a guppy with frayed fins :S ! They could have found a better picture IMO.
i agree...planted coverage was poor

i think they should dedicate equal portions of the magazine to certain parts of the hobby so everyone is happy...i know it may be difficult for PFK but releasing a marine version instead of cluttering PFK would be a smart move IMO
 
The place to articulate opinions of the new PFK are at the PFK web site. Or, if you feel strongly, e-mail the editor Matt Clarke.

Magazines were having a tough time competing with the Internet anyway, and the financial downturn has really put the squeeze on some of them. At least one magazine I wrote for has folded in the last few months. So, what I mean to say is that publishers and editors are acutely sensitive to the marketplace. A few e-mails expressing opinions and/or ideas could really make a difference.

The problem for magazines is that their readership is predominantly new to intermediate level aquarists. At least, that's the generally accepted opinion. If you'd like more articles on particular topics, you need to tell the editors and publishers of the magazines you read.

Cheers, Neale

I didn't start this thread to complain about the new look and I thought this forum would be as good a place as any as it's a community that I have been a part of for a couple of years, it was just to see what other people thought. I don't see why this isn't the place to talk about a fishkeeping publication. It's not as if this forum and PFK are in direct competition, and crossover from people discussing the magazine or articles in it are inevitable, And I'm sure there are subjects discussed here that become material as part of research for articles.

Overall I like the new look and will probably give it another go for a couple of months as I had stopped buying it regularly, and they have started to become more detailed with information that can suit more advanced aquarists as well as relative novices. I also like the way that they're putting a face to some of the people who are going out and actually finding the fish like Heiko Bleher among others.

Perhaps if there is a general consensus about the magazine we can then direct PFK towards this thread. I know there is at least one PFK contributor on here so some of this discussion may get back to the editor anyway.
 
neale monks contributes to PFK as does george farmer

I was thinking of george, but I didn't realise neal also contributed. Again i'm not having a go at PFK, i'm simply trying to discuss the mag.
 
It has been echoed time and time again that many find PFK regurgitate similar article's and should do more in-depth ones, but this is a fish forum.
I thought this new issue was the best in months!I've only been picking little bits to read out of them from others, but read the whole one.
I

ive got it and im not impressed...the biotope bits are good and the planted bits too...but the bit on dragonfish takes up too much of the mag
You will notice that the mag is thicker than the last 3 issues, at least, before, so you're not missing out on much.
Anyway, PFK cover LOADS on biotypes and planted tanks.
 
It has been echoed time and time again that many find PFK regurgitate similar article's and should do more in-depth ones, but this is a fish forum.
I thought this new issue was the best in months!I've only been picking little bits to read out of them from others, but read the whole one.
I

ive got it and im not impressed...the biotope bits are good and the planted bits too...but the bit on dragonfish takes up too much of the mag
You will notice that the mag is thicker than the last 3 issues, at least, before, so you're not missing out on much.
Anyway, PFK cover LOADS on biotypes and planted tanks.
i know...but not as much as id like...i know its hard to please everyone but i really feel it lacks certain things.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top