New Newbie

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Barb Nut

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm getting into this fish thing again.

Setting up a 60 gallon and was asking advice already on this forum about what fish might work with 1-1/2" tinfoil barbs (6).
Just got back from a local store. Lady there told me Ciclids that are 1/2 the size of the Barbs will work. I was also eyeing a beautiful Bela Shark (about 5" long)--she thougt he'd be fine too.
Can't wait! Also have had a 15 gallon going for about 2 weeks--got 10 Red Eye Tetras, and just added 4 Painted Glass (couldn't resist--anyone know about these?)--I think that will do it for the 15 gallon.

--Barb Nut

Hye barb nut! Welcome to the forums!

PS, balas need to be in a small group, so your tank may be a little small. :unsure:

Mr. Miagi32...Which of my fish are balas? and how does their needing to be in small groups make my tank too small?

Thanks!

littlefishie, You're kidding! I feel ripped off!

--Barb Nut

Not kidding at all, I'm afraid.. :no: Usually the dye will fade and they will die shortly after, because the dying process they go through weakens their immune system.

Best you can do is give them a good home, and then complain to the LFS [Local Fish Store, or where you bought them from] about their carrying dyed fish.

I thought they were awesome, too...until I found out that something like 7 in every 10 die in the dying process, which involves injecting the colour into the fish. Lovely. Now they just make me sad :(

Most reactions

Back