FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lilymcauley

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to this forum and fish keeping. I set up my 10 Gal tank last week and last night got 3 platys! I'll upload some pictures soon! They seem to be happy, one male, Walt, and two females, Syrup and Wasabi. What's the maximum amount of fish I can keep in my 10 Gal . 
Could I add a beta, or would it be to aggressive toward my platy's? I really look forward to getting very interested in the fish keeping line, seems interesting and something relying on me to live seems to be my area, seeing I've had plenty of pets in the past! :)

Thanks!

Welcome to TFF :)
For a 10 gallon I'd say 3 platys it pretty much the max amount of fish you want especially since with 1 male and two females there's going to be baby's sooner or later.

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Since platys should be kept in a 15g I'd get a 15g+ for them, cycle it (leaving a tank for a week doesn't do much except ensure the equipment is working) following THIS, and then move them into it.

Then the 10g can be for a betta if you still want one :)

Hope that didn't come off as rude or negative, it's not meant to!

welcome to the forums hope you find this forum useful to find out anything you want to know

Welcome Lily!

Ninjouzata is right, a 10g will become a little bit too small as your platies grow.  A betta may be aggressive and I wouldn't risk putting them together.

Your newly setup tank is not yet able to cope with the ammonia that your fish are producing as a waste product.  We call this an 'uncycled' tank and if left untreated the ammonia can build up to the point where it will hurt and kill your fish.  A cycled tank has a population of good bacteria that can process the nasty ammonia and make it safe.  In the meantime you will need to do this job yourself by changing some of their water every day with clean, fresh water.

A better option would be to cycle the tank before you get the fish according to the instructions in the link Ninjou provided.  If it is possible to take your fish back to the shop and do a fishless cycle instead then I would strongly recommend it.  If not then be aware that you are doing a 'fish-in' cycle and that the fish will need extra care during this time.  Either way, good luck!  :)

Welcome! It will be a learning journey here!

daizeUK said:
Welcome Lily!

Ninjouzata is right, a 10g will become a little bit too small as your platies grow.  A betta may be aggressive and I wouldn't risk putting them together.

Your newly setup tank is not yet able to cope with the ammonia that your fish are producing as a waste product.  We call this an 'uncycled' tank and if left untreated the ammonia can build up to the point where it will hurt and kill your fish.  A cycled tank has a population of good bacteria that can process the nasty ammonia and make it safe.  In the meantime you will need to do this job yourself by changing some of their water every day with clean, fresh water.

A better option would be to cycle the tank before you get the fish according to the instructions in the link Ninjou provided.  If it is possible to take your fish back to the shop and do a fishless cycle instead then I would strongly recommend it.  If not then be aware that you are doing a 'fish-in' cycle and that the fish will need extra care during this time.  Either way, good luck!  
smile.png
I agree with this!
Your fish will also be really stressed while you are establishing your cycle, and you as well!

Hello and 
welcomeani.gif
!

A lot of good advice being given already.

I will agree with the fact that doing a Fishless Cycle will be far easier and better for both you and future stocking (not to mention quicker too!) do have a read of that link that Ninjouzata posted earlier, very informative.

Hope you enjoy the forum 
smile.png

Welcome to tff!! I hope that you enjoy your stay here! If you need help then don't be afraid to ask.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back