New member intro

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Sharli

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Aside from having a tank with mollies when I was a kid, I started with my two tanks two years agoā€” I.e., pandemic stress project!

Theyre both planted tanks, one is a 39g with 2 angels, blood fin tetras, zebra danios, and a hill stream loach. The other is a 10g with a beta and kuhli loaches.

The reason I joined and stopped ā€œlurkingā€ on forums is that the male (Iā€™m pretty sure with the bump and size) angel is super aggressive and the female (sheā€™s laid eggs) is getting beat up - definite fin damage. Iā€™m considering rehoming the male. Since this has been a pandemic endeavor, I donā€™t have that local community to chat with.

Cheers! Sharlot

Attachments

• E7EA5036-583E-4C04-A865-A352D39CD77C.jpeg
    E7EA5036-583E-4C04-A865-A352D39CD77C.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 21CF2219-22A8-41F3-8C66-C30D30251309.jpeg
    21CF2219-22A8-41F3-8C66-C30D30251309.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi Sharlot and welcome to the forum :)

The black marble angelfish looks like a male. He might just be an over protective dad, or a scumbag that beats his partner. I would monitor them over the next few weeks and if he keeps it up, then swap him for another male and see how the new pair go.

Welcome. Make sure that all the fish have lots of protection from one another. Lots of plants and large pieces of driftwood will help to divide the tank up into territory's that each fish understand as this is my space that is yours.

Hi & welcome to TFF, Sharlot... :hi:
What's already been mentioned, that the male could be overprotective...

Thanks everyone! Nice to be here on TFF.

It's been more than a couple weeks total, and the male is still really aggressive with the female. Saddly, I think it's time to say good bye to him... (and yes - I've got plants and drift wood [cholla skeleton that I collected for free in my parents' yard], etc.)

Just want to say thanks again to everyone. I did end up re-homing my male angel a couple weeks ago. My femaleā€™s fins are growing back so nicelyā€¦ Iā€™d forgotten how long they were to begin with! Definitely the right decision.

Glad it's sorted Sharli. I suffered from a male pearl gourami, and a male firemouth that hounded the females to death, literally. Every time they came out from their sanctuary behind a big lump of bogwood they were seized upon. I think they probably starved to death as they weren't allowed out to eat.
Lovely as the males were I decided to take them back to the LFS. Too late for the females though.
We live and learn.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back