Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
One of my guppies is in labour now. She’s dropped 2 for now. Can you advise how long she will give birth for?
she is pretty content and not stressing

Attachments

• B03CD549-B913-411B-9A27-C06D8B9CC55F.jpeg
    B03CD549-B913-411B-9A27-C06D8B9CC55F.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 571
Usually an hour or two but sometimes longer.

Don't handle or move the female for at least a week after she has given birth because she needs time to heal. If you have to move her, use a net to catch her but keep her in the water, then put a plastic container under her and lift her up in the water in the net. Move her to wherever she is going and gently submerge the container and let her swim out.

Usually an hour or two but sometimes longer.

Don't handle or move the female for at least a week after she has given birth because she needs time to heal. If you have to move her, use a net to catch her but keep her in the water, then put a plastic container under her and lift her up in the water in the net. Move her to wherever she is going and gently submerge the container and let her swim out.

Little mumma just passed giving birth. I got 3 healthy little fry out of her, I tried to save the others in her belly but they had all passed too. I’m abit heartbroken :sad:

Is this normal Colin? She was okay when she gave birth to the 3 I got from her

Unfortunately livebearers are inbred and new mothers don't always survive giving birth to their first batch. It is a genetic weakness caused by inbreeding.

With healthy fish that are not inbred, it is not normal and the female should have more young and not die during the birthing process.

Congratulations on the fry, sorry for your lost :rip: Most inbred and Man-made are weak and will dont survive fiving birth or pregnant espescially balloon mollies.
Thanks Barry. I’m just so bummed about her tho. Poor sweets, there was about another 5 or 6 fry in her

Unfortunately this can happen with pregnant females. But I'm glad that you've got 3 fry that are healthy. Hope they'll grow up nicely...

I’m sorry for your loss. :rip:

It is normal for mothers do pass in labor, but it’s always heartbreaking. :(

I hope the 3 fry are still doing good, I lost a ember tetra not long ago trying to lay her eggs :( I also almost lost my daughter last year when they had to rush her to the hospital. They ended up having to take the baby out 2 1/2 months early. She was only 2 pounds 11 onces but is now 15 pounds and happy. My daughter is doing fine too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back